Aero Design: Explore Hobby Flight Projects

In summary, the speakers discuss their interest in aerospace engineering and their experience with designing a combat robot. They also mention their desire to become more proficient in designing hobby flight projects and ask for book recommendations. One speaker suggests a book on aerodynamics and another shares their experience with airship engineering.
Mech King
Afternoon everyone,

I am becoming more interested in aerospace engineering -for a hobby more than anything. I am a mechanical design engineer, but have neve really crossed over into the basics of helicopter and plane design.

I have recently Just finished designing a combat robot, and after doing so, i stopped and thought to myself "i know this is going to work", which took all of the buzz out of it for me. So i started thinking about flight and the challenges associated with it (especially from a novice poinbt of view) and am very interested in becoming more proficient and capable of designing hobby type flight projects.

Can anyone recommend a good book for a practicing mechanical designer?

Sorry for the cheesy background lol

Best Regards,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well since you are a mechanical engineer and know how to calculate stresses and deflections in structures, you'll basically just have to read up on some basic aerodynamic principles to do with fins and fluids.

This book "https://www.amazon.com/dp/0911295402/?tag=pfamazon01-20" looks like it might be a good starting point for an engineer to me. It has descriptions of many aerodynamic formulas to do with airfoils and aerodynamic principles. Paired with your mechanical background and understanding of strength of materials, you should be able to get a good jump on some aircraft designs.

8ee0810ae7a011d6c45eb110.L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for this, exactly what I am after, i will try and get copy.

Many thanks

if you are in for a real challenge try airship engineering, a few years ago I constructed a "small" rigid airship based on Zeppelin's LZ3 it has a whole ton of little problems to deal with and not many answers lying around, I had to learn about aerostatics, aerodynamics, hybrid lift systems, hydrogen generation(I was half expecting/hoping for the hydrogen to ignite, after many successful flights the infamous Tacoma winds sent my poor TH001 into the trees after a long struggle against the wind) and structural engineering. I might do another model again in a few years, I want to make one in the form of the Macon, with a airplane catch and launching system(yet another series of challenges) Just an Idea

~socrunningman

socrunningman said:
if you are in for a real challenge try airship engineering, a few years ago I constructed a "small" rigid airship based on Zeppelin's LZ3 it has a whole ton of little problems to deal with and not many answers lying around, I had to learn about aerostatics, aerodynamics, hybrid lift systems, hydrogen generation(I was half expecting/hoping for the hydrogen to ignite, after many successful flights the infamous Tacoma winds sent my poor TH001 into the trees after a long struggle against the wind) and structural engineering. I might do another model again in a few years, I want to make one in the form of the Macon, with a airplane catch and launching system(yet another series of challenges) Just an Idea

~socrunningman
Cool, Nice idea anyway.
http://simpleinterestcalculator.org [/color]​

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is aero design?

Aero design is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and testing of aircraft and other flying objects. It involves the study of aerodynamics, materials science, and propulsion systems to create efficient and safe flying machines.

2. What are some examples of hobby flight projects?

Hobby flight projects can include building and flying model airplanes, helicopters, drones, and rockets. It can also involve creating unique flying contraptions using various materials and technologies.

3. What skills are needed for aero design?

Aero design requires a combination of technical and analytical skills. These include a strong understanding of physics and mathematics, proficiency in CAD software, and knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes. Attention to detail, problem-solving abilities, and creativity are also important skills for aero design.

4. How can aero design benefit society?

Aero design has many applications that can benefit society. It can lead to the development of more efficient and environmentally friendly aircraft, contribute to advancements in space exploration, and improve search and rescue operations. It can also inspire young people to pursue careers in STEM fields.

5. What are some challenges in aero design?

Aero design faces many challenges, including balancing weight and aerodynamics, ensuring safety and reliability, and meeting strict regulations and standards. The constantly evolving technology and the need for innovation also present challenges for aero designers. Additionally, aero design projects can be costly and time-consuming, requiring significant resources and expertise.