Equilibrium: Pendulum from a ceiling to determine accelleration.

In summary, the conversation discussed how to calculate the acceleration of an airplane based on the displacement of a pendulum hanging from its ceiling. The solution involved considering the tension in the pendulum's cord and using trigonometric functions to find the acceleration.
Senjai

Homework Statement

As an airplane accelerates along a horizontal runway, a pendulum hanging from its ceiling is displaced 12 degrees from the vertical. Calculate the acceleration of the plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

After drawing my diagram, i see that there is a cord supporting the pendulum of weight m. The pendulum is displaced at this instant 12 degrees from the vertical. I know that the tension when separated into components, Tx and Ty, Ty = Fg = mg. And i then assume that Tx is the net horizontal force on the pendulum (i assume it will return to its position of equilibrium as there is no force to hold it in its displacement.)

So i make the calculations:

[tex] Ty = mg, Tx = ma [/tex]
[tex] T \cdot cos 12 = mg [/tex] because the sum of the vertical forces = 0
[tex] T \cdot sin 12 = ma [/tex] because the net force is in the direction of Tx.

I divide the latter by the former to get:

[tex] tan 12 = \frac{a}{g} [/tex] and get 3.57 m/s^2, the answer is 2.1 m/s^2... Not sure how to complete this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Senjai, have you got your calculator on radians or something?
g*tan(12) = 2.09 on my calculator.
Nice solution!

Uhh.. i don't really know what i did wrong, put it through this time.. got the answer. Thanks, and sorry for wasting your time :( :)

1. What is the purpose of using a pendulum to determine acceleration?

The purpose of using a pendulum to determine acceleration is to measure the acceleration due to gravity, which is a constant value that can vary depending on the location on Earth. This can also be used to calculate the gravitational force acting on an object.

2. How does a pendulum work to determine acceleration?

A pendulum works by using the force of gravity to swing the pendulum back and forth. The motion of the pendulum can be used to calculate the acceleration due to gravity, as it follows the laws of motion and conservation of energy.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of a pendulum's measurement of acceleration?

The accuracy of a pendulum's measurement of acceleration can be affected by factors such as air resistance, the length of the pendulum, and the angle at which it is released. The pendulum should also be released from the same point and have consistent swings to obtain accurate results.

4. Can a pendulum be used to measure acceleration in any location?

Yes, a pendulum can be used to measure acceleration in any location, as long as the length and angle of release are consistent. However, the acceleration due to gravity may vary slightly in different locations, which can affect the accuracy of the measurement.

5. What are some real-life applications of using a pendulum to determine acceleration?

Some real-life applications of using a pendulum to determine acceleration include seismometers to measure earthquakes, determining the mass of planets and other celestial bodies, and in the design of suspension bridges and other structures to ensure stability and safety.