Why is phi(n) always an even number?

• Thread starter crypto_rsa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary, the totient of n is always even because for every prime p there is a number phi(p) which is even. This follows immediately from the definition of the totient function.
crypto_rsa
I know it's a dumb question but I can't figure out why the totient of n is always even (I've read in a book that it "follows immediately from the definition of the totient function", so it should not require any theorem to prove). It is clear to me that it holds true for

n = pk, where p is a prime, because
phi(pk) = pk - 1(p - 1) and (p - 1) is even

But why is it true in the general case? I think I could use multiplicativity of phi() to prove it but I am confused by the "follows from definition" note.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see how it follows immediately from the definition, either. But it's clear from the formula for phi that phi(n) is even for any n > 2.

Perhaps the author had in mind the following argument:

Suppose that 1 [itex]\leq[/itex] m < n and (m,n) = 1. Then it's easy to see that (n-m,n) = 1. Also, it can't be true that m = n-m because then 2m = n and so (n,m) > 1. Thus, for each such m we have another integer (n-m), distinct from m, that also satisfies 1 [itex]\leq[/itex] n-m < n and (n-m,n) = 1. So, we have partitioned the integers from 1 to n-1 that are relatively prime to n into two sets of the same size. We conclude that the number of such integers, phi (n), is even.

Petek

There is a way how to prove it using just the definition:

If x is prime to n, then also n - x is prime to n (easily proven by contradiction). Except for the case when x = n/2, x and n - x are distinct. But when x = n/2, then n/x = 2 and x is not prime to n. So the numbers which are primes to n come always in pairs and thus their total number is even.

More information can be found at http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/51541.html".

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why is phi(n) always an even number?

The value of phi(n) is always an even number because it is defined as the number of positive integers less than or equal to n that are relatively prime to n. This means that phi(n) will always be even because one of the numbers included in the count is always 1, which is an even number.

2. Is there a mathematical proof for why phi(n) is always even?

Yes, there is a mathematical proof for why phi(n) is always even. It involves using the properties of prime numbers and their factors to show that the number of positive integers less than or equal to n that are relatively prime to n will always be even.

3. Can phi(n) ever be an odd number?

No, phi(n) can never be an odd number. As mentioned earlier, one of the numbers included in the count for phi(n) is always 1, which is an even number. This guarantees that phi(n) will always be even.

4. Does the value of n affect whether phi(n) is even or odd?

No, the value of n does not affect whether phi(n) is even or odd. As long as n is a positive integer, phi(n) will always be even because it is defined as the number of positive integers less than or equal to n that are relatively prime to n.

5. Why is it important to know that phi(n) is always an even number?

Knowing that phi(n) is always an even number is important in number theory and cryptography. It allows for the efficient calculation of the Euler's totient function and is used in various algorithms for prime factorization and encryption. Understanding the properties of phi(n) can also lead to a better understanding of other mathematical concepts related to prime numbers and their factors.