Adjoint Operator: Proving Unique Adjoint Transformation

• Thread starter typhoonss821
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of adjoint operators in linear algebra and how to prove the uniqueness of an adjoint operator. The definition of an adjoint operator is provided and the question of how to prove its uniqueness is posed. The conversation then continues to discuss the steps for proving the existence of a unique adjoint operator.
typhoonss821
I recently teach myself linear algebra with Friedberg's textbook.
And I have a question about adjoint operator, which is on p.367.

Definition Let T : V → W be a linear transformation where V and W are finite-dimensional inner product spaces with inner products <‧,‧> and <‧,‧>' respectively. A funtion T* : W → V is called an adjoint of T if <T(x),y>' = <x,T*(x)> for all x in V and y in W.

Then ,my question is how to prove that there is a unique adjoint T* of T ?

Can anyone give me some tips ? thanks^^

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assume that there is another adjoint transformation, let's say T**.

To show that there exists such a function, let [tex]v_1, \ldots , v_n[/tex] be an orthonormal basis for V, so that [tex]x = \sum_i \langle x,v_i\rangle v_i[/tex] for any x in V then we have for all x in V and y in W:

[tex]\langle T(x), y\rangle ' = \langle T (\sum_i \langle x,v_i\rangle v_i ), y\rangle '[/tex]
[tex] = \sum_i \langle x, v_i\rangle \langle T(v_i), y\rangle '[/tex]
[tex] = \langle x, \sum_i \overline{ \langle T(v_i),y\rangle '} v_i\rangle [/tex]
which is in the form that we'd like.

Which shows that [tex]T^*(y) = \sum_i \overline{\langle T(v_i),y\rangle '} v_i[/tex] for all y in W works.

Last edited:
really appreciate^^

Last edited:

I can provide some tips to help you prove the uniqueness of the adjoint operator.

1. Understand the definition: Before attempting to prove the uniqueness of the adjoint operator, it is important to fully understand the definition. Make sure you are clear on what the adjoint operator is and what properties it must satisfy.

2. Use the properties of inner products: The definition of the adjoint operator involves inner products in both the domain and codomain. Use the properties of inner products, such as linearity and symmetry, to manipulate the equation and see if you can arrive at a conclusion about the uniqueness of the adjoint operator.

3. Use the properties of linear transformations: The linear transformation T and its adjoint T* both have specific properties that must hold. Use these properties, such as linearity and the fact that T* is the inverse of T, to see if you can prove that there can only be one adjoint operator for a given linear transformation.

4. Use a proof by contradiction: If you are having trouble proving the uniqueness of the adjoint operator directly, you can try a proof by contradiction. Assume that there are two different adjoint operators for a given linear transformation, and then use the properties of inner products and linear transformations to show that this assumption leads to a contradiction.

5. Consult other resources: If you are still struggling to prove the uniqueness of the adjoint operator, don't be afraid to consult other resources such as textbooks, online lectures, or asking for help from a professor or fellow student. Sometimes a different perspective can help you see the proof in a clearer way.

Remember, proving the uniqueness of the adjoint operator requires a solid understanding of linear algebra and the properties of inner products and linear transformations. Take your time, work through the equations, and don't be afraid to ask for help if needed. Good luck!

1. What is an adjoint operator?

An adjoint operator is a linear transformation between two vector spaces that represents the transpose or conjugate of another linear transformation.

2. How do you prove that an adjoint operator is unique?

To prove that an adjoint operator is unique, one must show that there is only one linear transformation that satisfies the definition of an adjoint operator for a given transformation.

3. What is the definition of an adjoint operator?

The definition of an adjoint operator is a linear transformation that satisfies the property <x, A*y> = <A*x, y> for all vectors x and y in the vector space.

4. Why is the uniqueness of an adjoint operator important?

The uniqueness of an adjoint operator is important because it allows us to have a clear understanding of the relationship between two linear transformations and their corresponding adjoint operators. It also ensures that the properties and behaviors of the original transformation are preserved in the adjoint transformation.

5. How can you use adjoint operators in real-world applications?

Adjoint operators have many practical applications, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used to solve differential equations, optimize systems, and analyze physical phenomena. For example, in quantum mechanics, adjoint operators are used to calculate the probabilities of quantum states and determine the evolution of a system over time.