Why Even Talk About Gravitons Even Existing?

In summary, gravity is considered to be the weakest of the four fundamental forces at the atomic level and smaller. This is because the other three forces, which are responsible for building matter at the atomic level, are much stronger. However, gravity is still a force that needs to be separated from the others as it only appears at larger mass levels and does not seem to have an effect at the quantum level. Gravitons, which are hypothesized particles responsible for gravity, are difficult to detect and are only detectable in the form of gravitational waves. There is some debate about the source of mass, with some suggesting an electromagnetic source rather than the Higgs field. Ultimately, the connection between gravity and the
sEsposito said:
In contrast to what the starter set out to accomplish -- this thread has really demonstrated the importance of gravity (especially at the sub-atomic level!)... So many well informed replies.

I think its really cool when I can find the importance in something someone set out to nullify.

To be honest with you...I posed this question because I wanted to get a thoughtful discussion going. I really wasn't trying to "nullify" anything. My purpose was to get an end outcome that either justified the need to look for "gravitons" or disprove it as a myth.

Either resolution or outcome would have been just fine with me. :smile:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi Admin,
Where is my post?

Thanks
Br, Raja

raja16sep, please read your Private Messages. The explanation is there.

Either click on "My PF" at the top left of any page here, or click on the "Your Notifications" link at the top right of any page (below the "Welcome, raja16sep" message).

If you have further questions about your post, send a PM to the mentor who notified you about it. Don't start a discussion about it here.

How would an experimenter detect a graviton?.
Can they travel at any speed or just the speed of light (like a gravitational wave)?.

I've posted this elsewhere, but it is just so appropriate here that here it is again:

BREAKING SYMMETRY
-- James Ph. Kotsybar

Our universe has things in it because
chance quantum fluctuations enable.
Nothing is what violates Nature’s laws --
something is apparently more stable.
Super-symmetry was asking for it.
It was just too perfect to be withstood,
and once it took the predictable hit
it lit up the entire neighborhood,
and in that Big Bang, the forces all split.
Gravity, of course, was most serious
and left, having little to do with it,
and, to this day, remains mysterious.
Though we still work to unify them all,
Entropy says it’s too late for that call.

NYSportsguy said:
Light doesn't cause gravity to occur because it is mass-less. A black hole (being extremely massive) causes the light to get sucked into it...not sure what your example is trying to say. If anything it further strengthens my QUOTE...not weakens it.

The source of gravity includes pressure and energy as well as rest mass. A 'box of light' does gravitate. In the GR field, the properties of an idealized 'box of light' are often investigated.

undidly said:
How would an experimenter detect a graviton?.
Can they travel at any speed or just the speed of light (like a gravitational wave)?.

I believe that the prevailing theory is that gravity waves travel at light speed. If the moon were to suddenly disappear, we would feel the effects the same time we saw it go (but both observations would be limited to light speed).

The level, at which this question on existence of graviton is asked, the science is still developing. Recent studies on neutrinos and accelrating universe are all part of the same. To develop science has always taken the path, - hypothesis, test, confirm and formulate the verifiable truth as an accepted concept or universal law.

PicoPhysics: Gravitons, big bang, general relativity are all different side of same coin, we still need to understand a lot about nature.

DARK ENERGY QUESTION
-- James Ph. Kotsybar

Could inflation have done more than we know,
shortly after the Big Bang’s first salvo,
and created a dense matter halo
beyond the horizon where we can go?

Beyond the horizon that we can see,
is there a remote possibility
of a most massive field of gravity
that pulls the strings of our reality?

Perhaps it’s just dense matter that’s the source,
accelerating expansion perforce,
and not some new and mysterious force,
or attractive gravity changing course,
as though we are bound by a black hole’s skin,
stetching space toward a surface dimension.

<h2>1. What are gravitons?</h2><p>Gravitons are hypothetical particles that are thought to be responsible for the force of gravity in the universe. They are predicted by the theory of quantum mechanics, but have not yet been directly observed.</p><h2>2. Why do scientists even talk about gravitons existing?</h2><p>The existence of gravitons is a topic of interest and discussion among scientists because they could provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces of the universe and potentially lead to a unified theory of physics.</p><h2>3. How do gravitons work?</h2><p>According to theory, gravitons are constantly being exchanged between particles, creating a gravitational force between them. This force is what causes objects to be attracted to each other and determines the trajectory of celestial bodies.</p><h2>4. Can gravitons be detected?</h2><p>Currently, there is no direct way to detect gravitons. However, scientists are working on experiments and technologies that could potentially detect their presence indirectly.</p><h2>5. What is the significance of discovering gravitons?</h2><p>If gravitons are proven to exist, it would confirm the theory of quantum gravity and provide a deeper understanding of the universe. It could also have practical applications in fields such as space travel and communication.</p>

1. What are gravitons?

Gravitons are hypothetical particles that are thought to be responsible for the force of gravity in the universe. They are predicted by the theory of quantum mechanics, but have not yet been directly observed.

2. Why do scientists even talk about gravitons existing?

The existence of gravitons is a topic of interest and discussion among scientists because they could provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces of the universe and potentially lead to a unified theory of physics.

3. How do gravitons work?

According to theory, gravitons are constantly being exchanged between particles, creating a gravitational force between them. This force is what causes objects to be attracted to each other and determines the trajectory of celestial bodies.

4. Can gravitons be detected?

Currently, there is no direct way to detect gravitons. However, scientists are working on experiments and technologies that could potentially detect their presence indirectly.

5. What is the significance of discovering gravitons?

If gravitons are proven to exist, it would confirm the theory of quantum gravity and provide a deeper understanding of the universe. It could also have practical applications in fields such as space travel and communication.