Exploring the Cause of Star Explosions

• Thread starter Antonio Lao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary, stars that exceed the Chandrasekhar limit for mass will explode. This is due to the gravitational force no longer being able to hold onto the extra mass, causing an explosion. This also happens to stars that are obese, as they are carrying too much mass.
Antonio Lao
Why do Some Stars Explode ?

It is a fact that stars do explode. But why? Cosmological theory says it is caused by the acquisition of mass beyond the Chandrasekhar limit. My hypothesis is that explosion is related to an intrinsic metric variable. This variable is the parameter for all possible velocity components attributed to a star. If the vector sum of all these components is zero, the star will explode.

Physics news on Phys.org
stars with a mass beyond the chandasekhar limit do not explode but collaspe uder the force of there own gravity because they burn there fuel to quickly. now these stars generally become black holes.
but i would still like to see your maths to support this antonio.
regards jamie

They are overweight. Obesity is a universal health risk. Stars over the Chandrasekhar limit do tend to explode. But, will not collapse unless the mass remaining after exploding is over the Chandrasekhar limit. If the remaining mass is over the Chandrasekhar limit [~1.44 solar masses] but less than the neutron degeneracy limit [~ 3 solar masses], a neutron star will form. Black holes form if the remaining mass exceeds the neutron degeneracy limit.

Last edited:
hello chronos
thanks for clarifying that point. yet another thing I've learnt.
can you please tell me were the shwartzchild radius fits into this.
many thanks
jamie

The Schwarzschild radius describes the event horizon of a black hole. Another way of putting it is the Schwarzschild radius is the size at which an object of any given mass becomes a black hole. So, an object is not a black hole so long as it is larger than the Schwarzschild radius for its mass.

jamie said:
but i would still like to see your maths to support this antonio.

I'll be working on the math in conjunction with the other theory development in progress. I'll post it as soon as I get it together. Am requesting for your patience.

jamie,

Just an overview of the physical concepts for setting the math in a model of metric invariance.

Time symmetry in energy, translational symmetry in linear momentum, rotational symmetry in angular momentum are the three fundamental conservation laws.

Linear momentum is a function of velocity ([itex] p=mv[/itex]) so is angular momentum ([itex]L = mvr[/itex]). Force is a function of linear momentum ([itex] F= \frac{dp}{dt}[/itex]). but energy is the product of force and a metric.

If we assume that mass=1, then [itex] p=v, L=vr, F=\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]. But [itex] \frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] is just acceleration, therefore F=a and Energy is just the product of generalized acceleration and a metric.

The metric invariance is then given by

[tex] \vec{a} \cdot \vec{r} = c^2 [/tex]

where c is the speed of light in vacuum.

Last edited:
From this metric invariance, we can define a quantum magnitude for acceleration as

[tex] \left| a_n \right| = \frac{c^2}{nl_p}[/tex]

where [itex] l_p [/itex] is the Planck length.

thank you antonio
I will work thruogh you math and let you know how i get on
regards jamie

1. Why do stars explode?

Stars explode due to a process called supernova, which occurs when a star runs out of fuel and can no longer produce enough energy to counteract its own gravitational force. This leads to a sudden and catastrophic collapse, resulting in a massive explosion.

2. What causes a star to run out of fuel?

Stars fuse hydrogen atoms in their cores to produce helium and energy. Eventually, they run out of hydrogen and start fusing heavier elements. As this process continues, the star's core becomes increasingly unstable and unable to support itself, leading to a collapse and explosion.

3. Are all stars capable of exploding?

No, not all stars are capable of exploding. Only stars that are at least eight times more massive than our sun have enough mass and energy to undergo a supernova explosion. Smaller stars, like our sun, do not have enough mass to explode and instead end their lives as white dwarfs.

4. What happens after a star explodes?

After a star explodes, it releases a tremendous amount of energy and matter into its surroundings. This explosion can create new elements and distribute them throughout the universe. The remaining core of the star may also collapse into a black hole or a neutron star, depending on its mass.

5. Is our sun at risk of exploding?

No, our sun is not at risk of exploding. It is a relatively small and stable star that will not have enough mass to undergo a supernova explosion. However, in about 5 billion years, it will expand into a red giant and eventually collapse into a white dwarf, ending its life in a much less dramatic manner.