Does phase speed = wave speed, for a wave on a string?

In summary, to calculate the change in phase speed, use the equation v = sqrt(T/μ) and to calculate the change in amplitude, use the equation A = v/2πf, where v is phase speed, T is tension, μ is the string's mass per unit length, and f is frequency.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

A wave travels along a string. Its amplitude is 0.500 mm, its frequency is 300 Hz, and λ ‎= 0.10 m. μ = 0.01 kg/m.

If I double the tension, but keep the wavelength the same, how would the amplitude and the phase speed of the wave change?

Homework Equations

v = sqrt (T / μ), where T is tension and v is wave speed

v = λ‎f

The Attempt at a Solution

First off - is v in the above equations the same as phase speed!? I can't find any reference in my text to phase speed...

If so calculating the change in phase speed would be easy, just sub the new values into the equations.

But amplitude, I'm not sure. I have no equation for that!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Yes, v in those equations does refer to phase speed. To calculate the change in phase speed, you can simply use the equation v = sqrt(T/μ) and plug in the new tension value (which is double the original tension) and the same value for μ. This will give you the new phase speed.

As for amplitude, there is no direct equation for it, but you can use the equation v = λ‎f to calculate the new frequency of the wave. Then, you can use the equation A = v/2πf to calculate the new amplitude. Since the wavelength and tension remain the same, the only change will be in the frequency, which will result in a change in amplitude. I hope this helps!

1. What is the difference between phase speed and wave speed?

Phase speed refers to the speed at which a specific phase of a wave, such as the peak or trough, travels through a medium. Wave speed, on the other hand, is the speed at which the wave as a whole travels through the medium. In other words, phase speed only applies to a specific point on the wave, while wave speed applies to the entire wave.

2. Can phase speed ever be greater than wave speed?

Yes, phase speed can be greater than wave speed. This can occur in situations where the wave is travelling through a medium with varying properties, such as a medium that becomes denser over distance. In these cases, the phase speed can increase while the overall wave speed remains constant.

3. How are phase speed and wave speed related?

Phase speed and wave speed are related through the wavelength and frequency of the wave. The phase speed is equal to the product of wavelength and frequency, while the wave speed is equal to the quotient of wavelength and period (inverse of frequency).

4. Is phase speed always constant for a specific wave on a string?

No, phase speed may vary for a specific wave on a string, depending on the properties of the string and the medium it is travelling through. For example, the phase speed of a wave on a string may change if the tension or density of the string is altered.

5. How does the tension of the string affect the phase speed and wave speed?

The tension of the string directly affects the phase speed and wave speed of a wave travelling on it. An increase in tension will result in an increase in both phase speed and wave speed, while a decrease in tension will cause a decrease in both speeds. This is because tension affects the stiffness and density of the string, which are factors that influence wave propagation.