A question about constant velocity/constant acceleration graphs?

In summary, for a D-T graph, if the velocity is constant, the line will be straight. If the velocity is changing, the line will be curved. For a V-T graph, if the velocity is constant, the line will be straight. If the acceleration is constant, the line will be straight. For an A-T graph, if the acceleration is constant, the line will be straight.
SoConfused__
Hey! For a lab, I have to make a few graphs, I just need some clarification.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

For a D-T graph, where velocity is constant, the line will be straight. (Diagonal.)
For a V-T graph, where velocity is constant, the line will be straight. (Horizontal)
^ Confused about this though, at point 0 what will the y value be? :eek: (For example, if the velocity is 3m/s)
For a A-T graph, where velocity is constant, there will be NO line. (No acceleration)

For a D-T graph, where acceleration is constant, the line will be curved.
For a V-T graph, where acceleration is constant, the line will be straight. (Diagonal)
For a A-T graph, where acceleration is constant, the line will be straight. (Horizontal)??
^ For this one I am also confused.

I just need to know if I'm on the right track! :blushing:
Ones in bold are the one I'm not sure are correct.

Thank you very much for reading! I appreciate any help that is offered. =)

Physics news on Phys.org
SoConfused__ said:
Hey! For a lab, I have to make a few graphs, I just need some clarification.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

For a D-T graph, where velocity is constant, the line will be straight. (Diagonal.)
For a V-T graph, where velocity is constant, the line will be straight. (Horizontal)
^ Confused about this though, at point 0 what will the y value be? :eek: (For example, if the velocity is 3m/s)

The horizontal line will be above the horizontal axis at a distance equal to 3m/s on the scale.
For a A-T graph, where velocity is constant, there will be NO line. (No acceleration)
The line will be horizontal and along the axis where a=0.
For a D-T graph, where acceleration is constant, the line will be curved.
For a V-T graph, where acceleration is constant, the line will be straight. (Diagonal)
For a A-T graph, where acceleration is constant, the line will be straight. (Horizontal)??
^ For this one I am also confused.
The horizontal line will be above the x-axis for positive acceleration and below it for negative acceleration.
You are on the right track.

This might help
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/learning/bitesize/higher/physics/mech_matt/analyse_motion_rev1.shtml

thank you for all your help :)

1. What is the difference between a constant velocity graph and a constant acceleration graph?

A constant velocity graph shows a straight, horizontal line indicating that the object is moving at a constant speed. On the other hand, a constant acceleration graph shows a curved line indicating that the object is changing its velocity at a constant rate.

2. How can I determine the velocity of an object from a constant velocity graph?

The velocity of an object can be determined by finding the slope of the graph. The slope of a constant velocity graph is equal to the velocity of the object. This can be calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time.

3. Can an object have a constant acceleration but not a constant velocity?

Yes, an object can have a constant acceleration but not a constant velocity. This can occur when the object is changing its velocity at a constant rate, such as in the case of free fall where the acceleration due to gravity is constant.

4. How do I calculate the acceleration from a constant acceleration graph?

The acceleration of an object can be calculated by finding the slope of the graph. The slope of a constant acceleration graph is equal to the acceleration of the object. This can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

5. Can an object have a negative acceleration on a constant acceleration graph?

Yes, an object can have a negative acceleration on a constant acceleration graph. This indicates that the object is slowing down or decelerating at a constant rate. This can be seen as a downward-sloping line on the graph.