Adiabatic expansion in a thermodynamic system

In summary, the conversation discusses the compression of 4 liters of an ideal diatomic gas in a cylinder. The process involves four steps: an isochoric process, an adiabatic expansion, an isobaric compression, and a return to the initial state. The questions asked are about the volume of the gas at the end of the adiabatic process, the temperature just before the adiabatic expansion, and the work performed by the gas in this cycle. The solutions can be found using the ideal gas law and the equation for adiabatic expansion.
cirimus

Homework Statement

4 liters of an ideal diatomic gas are compressed in a cilinder. In a closed process, the following steps are taken :

1) Initial state :
[tex]p_1 = 1 atm = 1.013*10^5 N/m^2 [/tex]
and :
[tex]T_1 = 300 K[/tex]

2) Isochoric proces resulting in :
[tex]p_2 = 3.p_1[/tex]

3) Adiabatic expansion resulting in:
[tex]p_3 = p_1[/tex]

4) Isobar compression resulting in
[tex] V_4 = V_1 [/tex]

Note : State 4 = State 1

Questions :
a) What is the volume of the gas at the end of the adiabatic proces ? (solution : 8.77*10^-3 )
b) What is the temperature of just before the adiabatic expansion? (solution : 902 K)
c) What is the work performed by the gas in this cycle ? (solution : 335.0 J)

Homework Equations

ideal gas :

[tex] pV = nRT [/tex]
[tex] \frac{p_xV_x}{T_x} = \frac{p_y V_y} {T_y} [/tex]
[tex]\Delta U = n Cv \Delta T[/tex]

ideal gas + adiabatic expansion :
[tex]pV^{\lambda} = c[/tex]

Note : lambda is Youngs module, c is a constant value.

diatomic :
[tex]C_v = 5/2 R[/tex]
[tex]\lambda = 1.4[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

b) I'm starting with this one since it seemed easier :
[tex]\frac{p_1 V_1}{T_1} = \frac{p_2 V_2} { T_2 }[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow T_2 = \frac{p_2 V_2 T_1}{p_1 V_1}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow T_2 = 900 [/tex]
My guess is that my teacher approached this through using the
[tex]pV = nRT[/tex] equation twice, introducing rounding errors ?

a) I've tried to approach this in several ways, but none seem to give me the correct solution... My current approach :

Since we know it's an ideal gas that undergoes an adiabatic expansion, we could use the formula given above :
[tex] p_2V_2^\lambda = constant = p_3V_3^\lambda [/tex]
[tex] \Rightarrow V_3 = \log_\lambda ( \frac{p_2}{p_3} * V_2^\lambda)[/tex]
[tex] \Rightarrow V_3 = \log_{1.4} ( 3 (4*10^{-3})^{1.4} ) [/tex]
[tex] \Rightarrow V_3 = -19.70870781 [/tex]

That is wrong in many ways, but I don't know which assumption I made is wrong ...

c) Don't know yet, I'm guessing something like :

[tex] \sum W = W_{1,2} + W_{2,3} + W_{3,1}[/tex]
[tex] \sum W = 0 + W_{2,3} + p_3 (V_1 - V_3) [/tex]

But I'll have to integrate over an unknown volume to get the value of [tex]W_{2,3}[/tex] ...
If I know the value of [tex]V_3[/tex] I think I can calculate the value of [tex]T_3[/tex] using [tex]p_3V_3=nRT_3[/tex]. Once I know [tex]T_3[/tex] I can use [tex]\Delta U = n Cv \Delta T_{2,3} = - W_{2,3}[/tex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
b) the final temperature has to be 900 K.

a) Use the adiabatic condition [itex]PV^\gamma = K[/itex] to give:

[tex]\left(\frac{V_f}{V_i}\right)^\gamma = \frac{P_i}{P_f}[/tex]

c) The work done from 1-2 and 3-4 is easy. To determine the work done from 2-3 use the first law: dQ = dU + dW to determine the work done (what is Q for this adiabatic expansion?). Hint: you just have to know the change in temperature - use:

[itex]T_2V_2^{\gamma -1} = T_3V_3^{\gamma -1}[/itex] to find the temperature at 3.)

AM

I am using that formula for (a) in my attempted solution, but te result is not correct. The values I use are:

[tex]V_f = unknown[/tex]
[tex]V_i = 4*10^{-3}[/tex]
[tex]P_i = 3 * P_f[/tex]
[tex]P_f = 1.013 * 10^{5}[/tex]
[tex]\lambda = 1.40[/tex]

Am i using wrong values ?

Attempt 2 :

[tex] V_f = V_i * \log_{1.4}(p_i / p_f)[/tex]
[tex] \Rightarrow V_f = 4*10^{-3} * \log_{1.4}(3)[/tex]
[tex] \Rightarrow V_f = 13 * 10^{-3} [/tex]

Last edited:
cirimus said:
I am using that formula for (a) in my attempted solution, but te result is not correct. The values I use are:

[tex]V_f = unknown[/tex]
[tex]V_i = 4*10^{-3}[/tex]
[tex]P_i = 3 * P_f[/tex]
[tex]P_f = 1.013 * 10^{5}[/tex]
[tex]\lambda = 1.40[/tex]

Am i using wrong values ?

Attempt 2 :

[tex] V_f = V_i * \log_{1.4}(p_i / p_f)[/tex]
[tex] \Rightarrow V_f = 4*10^{-3} * \log{1.4}(3)[/tex]
[tex] \Rightarrow V_f = 13 * 10^{-3} [/tex]

[tex]x^\gamma = (e^{\ln{x})^\gamma} = e^{\gamma\ln{x}[/tex]AM

As a follow-up to my last post, in case you found it too cryptic: your figures are correct (although you should state the units, particularly in your answer). The problem is with algebra.

AM

Thank you ! Using this and your previous posts I was able to find the answer for both (a) and (c) now. (how do i mark this thread as solved ?)

Last edited:

1. What is adiabatic expansion in a thermodynamic system?

Adiabatic expansion refers to a process in which a thermodynamic system expands without the exchange of heat with its surroundings. This means that the system does not gain or lose any thermal energy during the expansion.

2. How does adiabatic expansion differ from isothermal expansion?

In isothermal expansion, the system expands while maintaining a constant temperature. This is achieved by exchanging heat with the surroundings. In adiabatic expansion, there is no exchange of heat and the system's temperature may change as a result.

3. What is the equation for adiabatic expansion in a thermodynamic system?

The equation for adiabatic expansion is PV^γ = constant, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, and γ is the ratio of specific heats of the gas in the system. This equation is known as the adiabatic equation of state.

4. What are some real-life examples of adiabatic expansion?

One example of adiabatic expansion is the expansion of a gas in a piston. As the gas expands, it does work on the piston without exchanging heat with the surroundings. Another example is the expansion of air in a bicycle pump, where the air is compressed and then expands rapidly when the pump is released.

5. What are the applications of adiabatic expansion in thermodynamics?

Adiabatic expansion is used in many industrial processes, such as in gas turbines and engines. It is also an important concept in meteorology, explaining the formation of clouds and thunderstorms. Additionally, the process of adiabatic cooling is used in refrigeration and air conditioning systems.