Engineering Lab: Error Calculations - Help Needed!

In summary, the conversation discusses a first year engineering student who is writing a lab and struggling with understanding errors in mathematical calculations. They receive advice to pay attention to the error involved in measuring and make sure to carry enough decimal places to minimize any round off error. The student expresses gratitude for the explanation and mentions feeling overwhelmed from working continuously.
OpticalSuit
Hello yall I am new here. I am a first year student in engineering.
I'm writing up a lab now and I am supposed to be showing the error. the error usually accurs when adding subtracting muliplying of dividing variables. Only I am a little clueless here.
please help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The error you should be concerned with is the error involved in measuring. Once you know that you should be able to arrange for carrying enough decimal places that "round off error", which is the only kind of error that can occur in mathematical clalculations, is negligable.

Thanks that makes sense. I've been getting writers block from working nonstop.

1. What is the purpose of calculating errors in an engineering lab?

The purpose of calculating errors in an engineering lab is to determine the accuracy and precision of measurements and experimental results. This allows for the identification of potential sources of error and helps to improve the quality and reliability of the data.

2. How do you calculate the error in a measurement?

The error in a measurement can be calculated by finding the difference between the measured value and the accepted value, and then dividing that difference by the accepted value. This value is then multiplied by 100 to get the percentage error.

3. What is the difference between accuracy and precision?

Accuracy refers to how close a measured value is to the true or accepted value, while precision refers to how close multiple measurements of the same quantity are to each other. In other words, accuracy is a measure of correctness, while precision is a measure of consistency.

4. How do you determine the uncertainty in a measurement?

The uncertainty in a measurement can be determined by considering the precision of the measuring instrument and the limitations of the experimental setup. It is important to also take into account human error and any potential sources of systematic error.

5. Can errors be completely eliminated in an engineering lab?

No, it is impossible to completely eliminate errors in an engineering lab. However, by carefully considering and minimizing potential sources of error, and by properly calculating and analyzing errors, the accuracy and precision of measurements can be greatly improved.