Could All Matter Be Curved Space Itself?

In summary: The following approximate description should explain the situation in a concrete way. The curvature tensor is much like first derivatives of the gravitational field--sort of like tidal forces. Since the Earth produces an (approx) inverse squared gravitational force, the radial derivatives go as the inverse of the radius cubed. Thus in the vacuum region around the Earth there is a curvature that goes as (r)^(-3). So there is curvature in the vacuum. The mass goes as the SUM of the derivative in the x direction of the x component of the gravitational field plus the derivative in the y direction of the y component of the gravitational field plus the derivative in the z direction of the z component of
CosmicVoyager
Greetings,

I read a lot. It is often repetitious. Occasionally I read an idea or way of looking at something that I had not read before.

In one book, I read the matter did not curve space, but rather, matter *is* curved space. This is a paradigm shift in the way of thinking about matter.

Could it be that all particles and forces are not in space, but are rather curves, twists, or distortions in space itself? So that all there is is space?

Could all phenomena be different kinds of geometry interacting in different ways?

Thanks

Space news on Phys.org
Is it possible? Maybe. No one can say for sure yet. I know there are several theories I've heard of that say something kind of like this, but as far as I know mainstream science does not support this.

Even in string theory, the particles that make up normal matter are rather distinct from the particles that make up gravity (curved space). So I doubt that this idea holds much water, except perhaps as an analogy.

Matter as a form of condensed space makes sense, but, raises more questions than it solves. Foremost, it does a terrible job explaining gravity.

CosmicVoyager said:
Greetings,

I read a lot. It is often repetitious. Occasionally I read an idea or way of looking at something that I had not read before.

In one book, I read the matter did not curve space, but rather, matter *is* curved space. This is a paradigm shift in the way of thinking about matter.

Could it be that all particles and forces are not in space, but are rather curves, twists, or distortions in space itself? So that all there is is space?

Could all phenomena be different kinds of geometry interacting in different ways?

Thanks

The viewpoint you express is a very good viewpoint, and has a name "geometrodynamics".

There is a technical error though in what you said. A region of spacetime can have curvature without there being matter. Matter is not curvature. The curvature is something called the Riemann Tensor. Matter is is stuff that is (sort of) sums of components of the Riemann Tensor. You can have a nonb-zero Riemann Curvature Tensor where the relevants sum is zero, and thus you can have curvature in spacetime where there is no matter.

The following approximate description should explain the situation in a concrete way. The curvature tensor is much like first derivatives of the gravitational field--sort of like tidal forces. Since the Earth produces an (approx) inverse squared gravitational force, the radial derivatives go as the inverse of the radius cubed. Thus in the vacuum region around the Earth there is a curvature that goes as (r)^(-3). So there is curvature in the vacuum. The mass goes as the SUM of the derivative in the x direction of the x component of the gravitational field plus the derivative in the y direction of the y component of the gravitational field plus the derivative in the z direction of the z component of the gravitational field--*this* quantity corresponds to the Newtonian del squared phi (where phi is the gravitational potential) and vanishes in the vacuum.

1. What is the concept of "matter is curved space"?

The concept of "matter is curved space" is a fundamental principle in the theory of general relativity proposed by Albert Einstein. It states that the presence of matter and energy causes the fabric of space-time to curve, creating what we perceive as gravity. This means that massive objects not only attract each other, but also warp the space and time around them.

2. How does this concept differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

Newton's theory of gravity, also known as the law of universal gravitation, states that massive objects attract each other with a force that is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In contrast, "matter is curved space" suggests that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of matter and energy.

3. Can you provide an example of how "matter is curved space" affects our everyday lives?

One of the most well-known examples is the bending of light around massive objects, such as stars, due to the curvature of space-time. This phenomenon, known as gravitational lensing, has been observed and studied by scientists as a way to test the validity of general relativity.

4. Is there any evidence to support the concept of "matter is curved space"?

Yes, there is a lot of evidence to support this concept. One of the most famous is the observation of the precession of Mercury's orbit, which could not be explained by Newton's theory of gravity but was accurately predicted by general relativity. Other evidence includes the bending of starlight during a solar eclipse, the time dilation of atomic clocks in different gravitational fields, and the observations of gravitational waves.

5. How does "matter is curved space" tie into the larger understanding of the universe?

"Matter is curved space" is a crucial part of our understanding of the universe as it explains the fundamental force of gravity and its effects on the behavior of matter and energy. It also plays a significant role in cosmology, helping us understand the formation and evolution of the universe on a large scale. Additionally, this concept is essential in modern technologies, such as GPS systems, which rely on precise understanding of the effects of curved space-time on signals from satellites.