How in the world is current passing through?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the magnetic coils of a tokamak fusion reactor have an inner radius of 0.700 m and an outer radius of 1.30 m, with 900 turns of large-diameter wire carrying a current of 14.0 kA. The magnitude of the magnetic field inside the toroid along the inner radius is 3.6T, and along the outer radius is 0T. The Amperian loop, which is a circle coaxial with the torus, encloses no current if it is smaller than the inner radius, encloses N*I if its radius is between the inner and outer radii, and encloses net 0 current if it is larger than the outer radius.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

The magnetic coils of a tokamak fusion reactor are in the shape of a toroid having an inner radius of 0.700 m and an outer radius of 1.30 m. The toroid has 900 turns of large-diameter wire, each of which carries a current of 14.0 kA.

(a) Find the magnitude of the magnetic field inside the toroid along the inner radius.
___T
(b) Find the magnitude of the magnetic field inside the toroid along the outer radius.
___T

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I did it the way the textbook wants me to and I got 3.6T, but I don't understand, how could there be a current inside the torus? I mean if I were to enlarge my Amperian loop, I can get a current passing through

(b) Same here, if I were to draw an Amperian loop that is bigger than the torus, wouldn't it be zero? BUt the loop is still valid for it encloses the torus right?

Physics news on Phys.org
From Wikipedia:
400px-Toroidal_Inductor-Simple_with_Axes.JPG

Something like this.

Where is the Amperian loop in the picture?

Right...if you draw an amperian loop (a circle that is coaxial with the torus) that is smaller than the inner radius, you enclose no current, thus no B-field. If you draw it so the radius of the loop is between the inner and outer radii of the torus, you enclose N*I, and r*d(theta) (or your differential line element on the circumference of the amperian loop) is always parallel to the B-field (B (dot) dl = BL = B2*Pi*r. If you draw it larger than the outer radius, you enclose net 0 current, and have net 0 B-field.

A circle within the blue ring itself.

1. How is current able to flow through a circuit?

Current, or the flow of electricity, is able to pass through a circuit due to the movement of electrons. When a circuit is connected to a power source, such as a battery, the electrons are pushed by the source and begin to flow through the circuit, creating a current.

2. What is the role of conductors and insulators in the flow of current?

Conductors, such as metals, allow for the flow of current because they have free electrons that are able to move easily through the material. Insulators, on the other hand, do not have free electrons and therefore do not allow for the flow of current.

3. How does resistance affect the flow of current?

Resistance is the measure of how difficult it is for current to flow through a material. The higher the resistance, the lower the current flow will be. This is because resistance restricts the movement of electrons, making it more difficult for them to pass through the circuit.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) are two types of current flow. AC current changes direction periodically, while DC current flows in only one direction. AC current is typically used in household appliances and power outlets, while DC current is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

5. Can current flow through a vacuum?

No, current cannot flow through a vacuum because there are no particles or materials present for the electrons to move through. In order for current to flow, there must be a complete circuit with conductive materials for the electrons to pass through.