Find the Current passing through the Resistor.

In summary, the poster is seeking help with finding the current passing through R1 and R5 in a circuit problem. They have provided a picture and their attempted solution, using three main equations for the left, middle, and big right loops. However, there was a typo in their original post where they meant to find the resistance through R1 and R5. In response to a reply, the poster is questioning whether they should have subtracted the second voltage in the equation for the big right loop due to the opposite polarities of the batteries in the third loop. The reply confirms this and suggests using clockwise direction for the loop.
Lawlbear
Hi, forum. This is my first time posting and I was curious if someone would mind looking over my work for a problem? I need to find the current passing through R1 and R5, the picture below shows the problem and my attempt at a solution.

In the picture there are three main equations I used, left means the left loop of the circuit, middle means the middle loop, and big right means the loop excluding the left loop. Also at the very bottom the follows sentence gets cut off on the scan, it should say: "I5=3.46A so current passing through R5=3.46"

Thanks in advance for any help and corrections!
EDIT: I had originally put "find the resistance through R1 and R2" This was a typo, I meant find the Resistance through R1 and R5.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8044/scan0003tu.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your third loop, comprising V1, V2, R5, and R3, note that the two batteries have opposite polarities; as you traverse the loop, you should see a voltage rise from one and a voltage drop from the other.

Thank you for your reply. Does this mean I should have subtracted the second voltage(V2) in the equation of my big right loop?

It would appear that you're going around the loop clockwise (in the shown directions of I5 and I3, so that V2 would represent a voltage rise, while V1 would represent a voltage drop. That is,

V2 - V1 - I5*R5 - I3*R3 = 0

Hello and welcome to the forum! I am happy to look over your work and provide feedback.

Firstly, I would like to point out that the equations you have used are correct and you have correctly identified the different loops in the circuit. However, there is a small mistake in your solution. You have correctly calculated the current passing through R1 as 3.46A, but the current passing through R5 is not 3.46A. Instead, it should be 3.46A + 2A = 5.46A. This is because the current from the middle loop (2A) also passes through R5.

So, the corrected solution is: I1 = 3.46A, I5 = 5.46A, and the current passing through R5 is 5.46A.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for help if needed. Science is all about collaboration and learning from each other. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of finding the current passing through a resistor?

The purpose of finding the current passing through a resistor is to determine the amount of electric current that is flowing through the resistor. This is important in understanding the behavior and characteristics of the resistor in a circuit.

2. How do you find the current passing through a resistor?

To find the current passing through a resistor, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that current is equal to voltage divided by resistance (I = V/R). You can also use a multimeter to directly measure the current flowing through the resistor.

3. What factors affect the current passing through a resistor?

The current passing through a resistor is affected by the voltage applied to the circuit, the resistance of the resistor, and the surrounding temperature. It is also influenced by the type of material the resistor is made of and its physical dimensions.

4. How does the current passing through a resistor impact the rest of the circuit?

The current passing through a resistor can affect the rest of the circuit in several ways. It can cause a voltage drop across the resistor, which can impact the overall voltage and current in the circuit. It can also generate heat, which can impact the performance of other components in the circuit.

5. What is the difference between AC and DC current passing through a resistor?

The main difference between AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) current passing through a resistor is the direction of the current flow. In AC current, the direction of the current changes periodically, while in DC current, the direction remains constant. This can affect the behavior and characteristics of the resistor in a circuit.