Find the ratio (ideal gas laws) how to get a Ratio between two numberS>

In summary: Now, if you consider an ideal gas, the pressure is proportional to the number of moles, pressure = nR*T/V. So the number of moles n cancels from the ratios of pressures, leaving only the ratio of temperatures and the ratio of volumes. So you can tell what happens to the ratio of temperatures when you change the ratio of volumes. And, of course, that's what you wanted to know.In summary, the temperature of a fixed mass of gas drops from 127 C to 27 oC under constant pressure. To find the ratio of the new volume to the original volume, we use the ideal gas law PV= nRT and rearrange to find V2/V1. Since the
teggenspiller

Homework Statement

The temperature of a fixed mass of gas drops from 127 C to 27 oC under constant pressure. Find the ratio of the new volume to the original volume.

C. 3:4
D. 4:3
E. 1:1
A and B arent here because i have gotten them wrong.

Homework Equations

Ideal gas law: PV= nRT

Pressure in Pa, Volume in Liters, n as in moles, R is a constant (0.0821) T= Temp Kelvin
Looking for the ratio of the final V to the initial V

The Attempt at a Solution

P= constant, n= constant, R= constant, so V= nRT/P and if p, n and R are constant then V just = T then right?

so V/T= V/T

And V/ 127 = V/27

what do i do here? 127/27 = 4.7

how do i get a 'ratio'?? between the two?

Physics news on Phys.org
What if the question read,

The temperature of a fixed mass of gas drops from 100 C to 0 C under constant pressure.

Would your method of dividing T1 by T2 work in this case using Celsius?

teggenspiller said:

Homework Statement

The temperature of a fixed mass of gas drops from 127 C to 27 oC under constant pressure. Find the ratio of the new volume to the original volume.

C. 3:4
D. 4:3
E. 1:1
A and B arent here because i have gotten them wrong.

Homework Equations

Ideal gas law: PV= nRT

Pressure in Pa, Volume in Liters, n as in moles, R is a constant (0.0821) T= Temp Kelvin
Looking for the ratio of the final V to the initial V

The Attempt at a Solution

P= constant, n= constant, R= constant, so V= nRT/P and if p, n and R are constant then V just = T then right?

so V/T= V/T

And V/ 127 = V/27what do i do here? 127/27 = 4.7

how do i get a 'ratio'?? between the two?

When you write your equations, clearly label the "before" and "after" variables. Numbering them is usual the way: P1, V1, T1, P2, V2, T2, and so on.

You are looking for a ratio of the new volume to the old volume. So you want to find V2/V1.

You've already written "V/T = V/T" which I must presume means

V1/T1 = V2/T2

So rearrange to find V2/V1. Be sure to use absolute temperatures!

no i don't think it would.. (?)

the dividing part wouldn't work. (physically)

but the ratio would be 0:100 or 100:0

?

wow. gniel. thanks so much! KELVING temps. duurrrh

so it would be 4:3. since the volume of first temp would be less than of second? (since the Temp Values and they have to even out?)

teggenspiller said:
so it would be 4:3. since the volume of first temp would be less than of second? (since the Temp Values and they have to even out?)

It would be good to get an intuitive feel for the result. You have a certain quantity of gas at a given temperature and pressure. Now you cool it down. What happens as gas cools? The volume shrinks and/or the pressure drops. To keep the pressure constant as the problem states, the the volume must be made smaller. So you must expect that the ratio of new volume to old volume will be less than one: V2/V1 < 1.

gneill said:
It would be good to get an intuitive feel for the result. You have a certain quantity of gas at a given temperature and pressure. Now you cool it down. What happens as gas cools? The volume shrinks and/or the pressure drops. To keep the pressure constant as the problem states, the the volume must be made smaller. So you must expect that the ratio of new volume to old volume will be less than one: V2/V1 < 1.

see that's where my concepts are all messed up.. Because when I try to get a feel for it i think of V/T and I think that if temp gets smaller, the volume has to increase to keep the ratios the same.

but now that you mention, if you cool a balloon by 100K, the Volume will DEFINITLY decrease to keep the pressure the same.

I keep examining what u wrote about temp going down means volume and/or pressure goes down. What if pressure is Dropped and Volume is INcreased?? then the temp will stay the same if they are decreased and increased by an even amount?

Ex: if Pressure is dropped by say, 1/3rd and Volume is Doubled or Quadrupled, Then the temp would go down with the drop in pressure, but back UP with the V increase??

teggenspiller said:
I keep examining what u wrote about temp going down means volume and/or pressure goes down. What if pressure is Dropped and Volume is INcreased?? then the temp will stay the same if they are decreased and increased by an even amount?

Ex: if Pressure is dropped by say, 1/3rd and Volume is Doubled or Quadrupled, Then the temp would go down with the drop in pressure, but back UP with the V increase??

P1*V1 = nR*T1 and P2*V2 = nR*T2

Put them together in ratios

[tex] \frac{P_2 V_2}{P_1 V_1} = \left(\frac{P_2}{P_1}\right) \cdot \left(\frac{V_2}{V_1}\right) = \frac{T_2}{T_1} [/tex]

You should be able to tell what happens to the ratio T2/T1 when you change the ratios of pressures and volumes.

What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is an equation that describes the behavior of ideal gases. It states that the product of pressure and volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and the number of moles of the gas, and is represented by the equation PV = nRT.

How do you find the ratio between two numbers using the ideal gas law?

To find the ratio between two numbers using the ideal gas law, you need to rearrange the equation PV = nRT to solve for the ratio of the two variables you are interested in. For example, to find the ratio of pressure between two gases, you would rearrange the equation to P1/P2 = (n1/n2) * (T1/T2) * (V1/V2).

What is the significance of finding the ratio between two numbers in the ideal gas law?

The ratio between two numbers in the ideal gas law is significant because it allows us to compare and analyze the behavior of different gases. By calculating the ratio, we can determine how a change in one variable (such as temperature or volume) will affect another variable (such as pressure) within the same system.

Can the ideal gas law be used for all types of gases?

No, the ideal gas law is only applicable to ideal gases. Ideal gases follow the assumptions of having no intermolecular forces, occupying negligible volume, and undergoing elastic collisions. Real gases deviate from these assumptions, so the ideal gas law may not accurately describe their behavior.

What are some common units used to express the ratio in the ideal gas law?

The ratio in the ideal gas law can be expressed in various units, depending on the variables involved. Some common units include atmospheres (atm), Kelvin (K), moles (mol), liters (L), and joules (J). It is important to ensure that all units are consistent when calculating the ratio between two numbers using the ideal gas law.