To prove this equation can exist or not hmm

• Thread starter BrendanM
  • Start date
In summary: No, it means that for an equation for this function to exist, it would need to be in the form Ax^multipleof2 + B^multipleof2 + C^multipleof2 + etc etc etc... + Dx + E, where A and B and C... are positive constants.
BrendanM
The question is : Find an F(x) where fprime(-1) = 1/2 , fprime(0) = 0 and fdoubleprime>0 if it doesn't exist prove why.

I cannnot explain it that well but here i go, i feel there is no equation that can be made for this. For an equation for be concave up on all intervals it must be in the form Ax^multipleof2 + B^multipleof2 + C^multipleof2 + etc etc etc... + Dx + E, where A and B and C... are positive constants I say this because f double prime will onyl be positive for all x if the second dirivitive has only positive constants or terms of x^multipleof2. Then the first dirivitive will leave you with x^odd number + a constant, f(-1) must be equal to 1/2, so it must be positive since x^oddnumber will be negative. but then when it says fprime(0) = 0 this cannot be because you will have 0^oddnubmer + constant.

blah that's as far as i could take it I am not sure if it makes sense.. but can someone help me on the correct path.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
-not all functions are polynomials
-a polynomial can be concave up everywhere and still have negative coefficients or odd powers, [itex]x^{2}-x-1[/itex] does all this
-latex is a beautiful thing and will make your posts legible with little effort, see https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf

For your question, if [itex]f''(x)>0[/itex] for all [itex]x[/itex] what can you say about [itex]f'(x)[/itex]? Is it increasing? Decreasing? Neither?

Since f'' is just the derivative of f', this exactly the same as:

"Does there exist a function f, whose derivative is always positive, such that f(-1)= 1/2 and f(0)= 0". Since f ' is always positive, what does that tell you about f?

I think HallsofIvy meant to put primes in front of those f's, but anyway... :)

Think of it like this: The slope of a function is positive at -1, then it turns to zero at 0. Draw that out. What would a function like that look like? Increasing then not. So does this mean f can be concave up for all x?

What is the process for proving an equation can exist?

The process for proving an equation can exist involves manipulating the equation using mathematical operations and applying the laws of algebra to determine if a solution exists.

How do you know if an equation can exist or not?

An equation can exist if a solution (or set of solutions) can be found that satisfies all the conditions of the equation. If no solution can be found, then the equation does not exist.

What are the main factors that determine if an equation can exist?

The main factors that determine if an equation can exist are the number of variables, the types of operations involved, and the parameters or constraints given in the equation.

Can an equation exist without a solution?

No, an equation cannot exist without a solution. If an equation has no solution, it means that the conditions of the equation cannot be satisfied and therefore, the equation does not exist.

What happens if an equation cannot be proven to exist or not?

If an equation cannot be proven to exist or not, it means that further research and investigation is needed. This could involve developing new mathematical techniques or exploring different approaches to solving the equation.