Unraveling the Mysteries of Dark Matter: Examining the Role of Light and Gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses whether light's energy can cause the bending of space-time and if that energy was accounted for in calculating the mass of the universe. It is suggested that gravity could potentially cause redshift in photons over time, but this theory has been disproven. The conversation also touches on the concept of "tired light," but this has not been supported by experiments.
Zula110100100
I was wondering two hings. First, does light's energy equate to mass and result in the bending of space time? The fact that it does follow the curve of space-time as well as mass-energy equivalence principle lead me to believe it would. Secondly, was that energy accounted for in calculating the mass of the universe(or whatever we did to figure there was dark matter)? Because that seems like it would be quite a few photons of really small energy that would add up to a lot of energy centered around where the most photon-emitting objects were.

and sort of extra: Thirdly, could the effects of gravity not cause enough loss of energy in photons traveling for such great distances to shorten their wavelengths and cause redshift, I didn't think we expected a constant energy level in anything else, why light, it should lose energy over time like anything else... eventually causing redshift and the farther away the object the more it would be red-shifted?

Space news on Phys.org
Zula110100100 said:
I
and sort of extra: Thirdly, could the effects of gravity not cause enough loss of energy in photons traveling for such great distances to shorten their wavelengths and cause redshift, I didn't think we expected a constant energy level in anything else, why light, it should lose energy over time like anything else... eventually causing redshift and the farther away the object the more it would be red-shifted?

This point of view was put forth quite some time ago but was totally debunked; just doesn't work. Google "tired light".

Zula110100100 said:
I was wondering two hings. First, does light's energy equate to mass and result in the bending of space time? The fact that it does follow the curve of space-time as well as mass-energy equivalence principle lead me to believe it would. Secondly, was that energy accounted for in calculating the mass of the universe(or whatever we did to figure there was dark matter)? Because that seems like it would be quite a few photons of really small energy that would add up to a lot of energy centered around where the most photon-emitting objects were.
Yeah, the only problem there is that we can observe photons. They make up about 0.001% of the energy density of the universe, far too little to explain dark matter.

Zula110100100 said:
Lengthen their wavelengths (shortening their wavelengths would entail giving them more energy). But yes, this is exactly what happens. This is the normal redshift. As phinds mentions, some have proposed some ways that light might lose extra energy, in addition to the normal redshift. But these "tired light" scenarios have failed to agree with experiment.

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter refers to a hypothetical type of matter that does not interact with light and therefore cannot be detected by telescopes or other instruments that rely on light. It is believed to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe, with the remaining 15% being regular matter.

2. How is dark matter related to light?

Dark matter is not directly related to light as it does not interact with light. However, some theories suggest that dark matter particles may have a very small amount of mass and could emit low levels of light, making them difficult to detect.

3. Could dark matter be made of light?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea that dark matter is made of light. However, some scientists have proposed the idea of "fuzzy dark matter" which suggests that dark matter particles could have a tiny amount of mass and behave like a wave rather than a particle, similar to light.

4. How do scientists study dark matter?

Scientists study dark matter indirectly through its gravitational effects on visible matter and light. They also use large-scale computer simulations to model the behavior of dark matter in the universe. Other methods include using particle accelerators to try and create dark matter particles or detecting high-energy cosmic rays that may be produced by dark matter interactions.

5. Why is understanding dark matter important?

Understanding dark matter is crucial for understanding the structure and evolution of the universe. It plays a major role in the formation of galaxies, galaxy clusters, and other large-scale structures. It also helps scientists to better understand the fundamental laws of physics and the nature of matter itself.