Calculating Work and Thermal Energy in a Block-Floor System

In summary, the worker pushed a 27 kg block 6.2 m along a level floor at constant speed with a force directed 30° below the horizontal. By summing the forces in the x-direction and setting it equal to the force of kinetic friction, the worker's force was determined to be 20.8 N. Using this value, the work done by the worker's force was found to be 128.8 J. To find the increase in thermal energy of the block-floor system, the work done by friction was calculated using the same equation for force of kinetic friction times distance.
bbbbbev
[CLPhys1 10.P.042.] Worker Pushes Block A worker pushed a 27 kg block 6.2 m along a level floor at constant speed with a force directed 30° below the horizontal.
(a) If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.20, what was the work done by the worker's force?

(b) What was the increase in thermal energy of the block-floor system?

This seems like it is supposed to be really easy, but I can't get it.

For (a), I set up a force diagram, and since the block is moving at constant velocity, I knew that F_worker-->block_x = friction, so F_w-->b_x = (mu)_k(m)(g). Since W_worker_x = F_worker-->block_x*(delta x), I just multiplied everything together and then tried to find F_worker-->block by dividing F_worker-->block_x by cos(30). I tried it with cos(60), too, but neither got the right answer.

For part (b), I set W_friction = friction_k * (delta x) * cos(180), but that didn't work either.

I don't know what else to try. I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me!

Thanks
Beverly

Physics news on Phys.org
If you sum the forces in the x-direction you can get:

[tex] \sum F_{x} =0 = F cos 30 - F_{k} = 0 [/itex]

[tex] therefore, F cos 30 = \mu_{k}N [/itex]

[tex] and \F = \frac{\mu_{k} N}{cos 30} [/itex]

you should then sum the forces in the y-direction to solve for F and equate the two expressions. Now you can solve for the normal force.

then all you have to do is use the fact that:

[tex] W = F\cdot d cos \theta [/itex]

substitute in the 1st equation for F

therefore [tex] W = \frac{\mu_{k} N}{cos 30} \cdot d \cos \theta [/itex]

To find the increase in thermal energy of the floor you can use the same equation for force of kinetic friction times distance to find the work done by friction.

Thanks! I had forgotten about summing the forces on the y-axis! Thanks so much!

1. What is work in terms of thermal energy?

Work is the transfer of energy from one system to another. In the case of thermal energy, work is done when heat is transferred from a warmer object to a cooler object.

2. How does thermal energy affect the work of a system?

Thermal energy is a type of internal energy that is related to the motion of particles within a system. It affects the work of the system by causing changes in temperature and pressure, which can impact the efficiency of work done by the system.

3. What is the relationship between heat and thermal energy?

Heat is a form of energy that can be transferred from one object to another. Thermal energy is the total kinetic energy of a system's particles, including the energy transferred through heat. In other words, heat is a way of transferring thermal energy.

4. How does work impact the thermal energy of a system?

Work can increase or decrease the thermal energy of a system. When work is done on a system, its internal energy increases, leading to an increase in temperature. Conversely, when work is done by a system, its internal energy decreases, leading to a decrease in temperature.

5. How does the first law of thermodynamics relate to work and thermal energy?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In the context of work and thermal energy, this means that the energy transferred through work and heat must be accounted for in the total thermal energy of a system.