Distance travelled by a thrown object

• Thread starter Dberry
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a person throwing a snowball horizontally from Point A to Point B, which are 20m and 50m apart respectively. The snowball is thrown at a speed of 25 m/s and the question is where it will land. The relevant equations for solving this problem are t=(2h/g)^(1/2) and d=vt, as stated in the answer (B). The time equation listed is derived from the equation s= 1/2 g t^2, with s being the height of Point A. This equation can be used to find the time it takes for the snowball to travel from Point A to Point B, which can then be used to calculate the distance it
Dberry

Homework Statement

The diagram to this problem is of a HILL as shown:

Point A
-
-
20m
-
-
------------------------50m------------------------- Point B

From ground level, a person at Point A throws a snowball horizontally to the right at 25 m/s. Where does the snowball land?

a) 10m to the left of Point B
b) At Point B
c) 12.5m to the right of Point B
d) 50m to the right of Point B

Homework Equations

According to the answer given (answer is B), the relevant equations are t=(2h/g)^(1/2) and d=vt

The Attempt at a Solution

The 4 linear motion equations I know are

x = x + vt + (1/2)at^2
v(initial) = v(final) + at
v(i)^2 = v(f)^2 + 2ax
v(avg) = (v(i) + v)/2

I don't know the time equation listed in the answer. Is it derived from one of these equations or is it a whole different equation? I'm confused about how I was supposed to know to solve this question basically...

Physics news on Phys.org
if you dropped the ball how long does it take?

then use that time to compute how far it went.

I know I have to find time first, but if you read the comments I'm asking about the equation used. I have never seen it before and I'm confused about where it comes from. Is it derived from another equation?

As a scientist, it is important to understand the relevant equations and how to apply them to solve problems. In this case, the relevant equation is d=vt, which represents the distance travelled by an object with a constant velocity (v) over time (t). This equation is derived from the formula for average velocity, v(avg) = (v(i) + v)/2, by rearranging it to solve for distance (d).

In this problem, the snowball is thrown horizontally, meaning that it has no vertical velocity and therefore will not change in height. This means that the snowball will travel a horizontal distance of 50m (the distance between Point A and Point B) in order to reach Point B. Using the equation d=vt, we can solve for the time it takes for the snowball to travel this distance.

50m = (25m/s)t
t = 2 seconds

Therefore, the snowball will land at Point B after 2 seconds. This is the correct answer (b) given in the question. It is important to understand how to apply the relevant equations to solve problems and to also understand the concepts behind the equations in order to solve problems accurately.

1. What factors affect the distance travelled by a thrown object?

The distance travelled by a thrown object is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is thrown, and the presence of external forces like gravity and air resistance. The weight and shape of the object can also have an impact on its distance travelled.

2. How does the angle of release affect the distance travelled by a thrown object?

The angle of release plays a significant role in determining the distance travelled by a thrown object. An object thrown at a higher angle will travel a shorter distance compared to an object thrown at a lower angle with the same initial velocity. This is because a higher angle results in a greater vertical component of the object's initial velocity, which reduces its horizontal distance travelled.

3. Does the mass of the thrown object affect its distance travelled?

Yes, the mass of a thrown object does have an impact on its distance travelled. Objects with a greater mass require more force to be thrown at the same initial velocity as lighter objects. As a result, heavier objects tend to travel a shorter distance compared to lighter objects when thrown with the same force.

4. How does air resistance affect the distance travelled by a thrown object?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can have a significant impact on the distance travelled by a thrown object. As the object moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, which slows it down. This results in a shorter distance travelled compared to a scenario where there is no air resistance.

5. Can the distance travelled by a thrown object be calculated?

Yes, the distance travelled by a thrown object can be calculated using the equation d = v0 cosθ * t, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of release, and t is the time of flight. However, this calculation assumes no external forces such as air resistance and is only accurate for objects thrown in a vacuum. In real-world scenarios, the distance travelled by a thrown object may vary due to factors like air resistance and the object's weight and shape.