How to Draw Logic Gate Graphs for NOR and XOR Gates

In summary, the conversation discusses the drawing of outputs for NOR and XOR gates with given inputs using logic level 1 and 0. The conversation also includes tips for correctly drawing the outputs and emphasizes the importance of solving the problem using both the rigorous and common sense approaches.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Graphs A and B are entries to a NOR gate with 2 inputs. Draw the output C.

Graphs X and are entries to a XOR gate. Draw the output Z.

Homework Equations

abxy.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

NOR.jpg

XOR.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good.

I'm afraid you've slipped at ##\overline{x} \cdot y##.

Tip: XOR means "either the one, or the other (but not both)".

I like Serena said:
I'm afraid you've slipped at ##\overline{x} \cdot y##.

Tip: XOR means "either the one, or the other (but not both)".

I'm confused...if XOR mean either this or that, how can u draw it on a single graph?

EDIT: nevermind, I think I figured it out

Last edited:
You are making heavy work of this, Femme_physics. Would you like to start again?

All you need are 3 graphs: x and y, and a blank one for your answer. https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon3.gif [Broken]

Now graph the answer following this EXCLUSIVE-OR rule: where x differs from y, draw
logic level 1. (And if x equals y, draw level 0.)

That's all there is to it. Too easy! :smile:

I'm not sure why your output trails off to the right at logic 1, where x and y are both at 0 https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon5.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure why your output trails off to the right at logic 1, where x and y are both at 0

Oops, you're right, but I think this is my only mistake right?

As far as "heavy work" -- well, I think it has an added value, being more thorough allows you to see the whole picture and revise the issue better.

Femme_physics said:
Oops, you're right, but I think this is my only mistake right?
You have made another careless mistake, which will reveal itself.
As far as "heavy work" -- well, I think it has an added value, being more thorough allows you to see the whole picture and revise the issue better.
Exactly right, there is much to be gained by doing it the rigorous way, if only to confirm that the formula jives with the common sense approach. Unfortunately, the more steps you go through, the greater the opportunity to make mistakes. If this were an exam question, I'm sure the time allocation would be for the simple route. It is good to know how to do the task both ways.

If you solve a problem two ways, agreement of answers usually confirms you as being correct. Disagreement can often highlight the error.

You have made another careless mistake, which will reveal itself.

Oh yes, I forgot to include that little block in the middle. Thank you :smile:

Exactly right, there is much to be gained by doing it the rigorous way, if only to confirm that the formula jives with the common sense approach. Unfortunately, the more steps you go through, the greater the opportunity to make mistakes. If this were an exam question, I'm sure the time allocation would be for the simple route. It is good to know how to do the task both ways.

If you solve a problem two ways, agreement of answers usually confirms you as being correct. Disagreement can often highlight the error.

Completely agree :approve:

Congratulations on your 2000th post to physicsforums, Femme_physics!
SUDsB.gif

Finally looks right. :wink:

Femme_physics said:
Trying to get more practice.
Good idea. Don't forget exclusive-OR, too. :cool:
Here A and B are Or Gates, with C being the outcome

X and Y are AND Gates, with Z being the outcome

I drew the graphs of the outcome.

Looks good?
yes​

Thanks NascentOx :)

1. What are logic gates?

Logic gates are electronic circuits that perform basic logical operations, such as AND, OR, and NOT. They are the building blocks of digital circuits and are used to process and manipulate binary information.

2. How do I draw a logic gate diagram?

To draw a logic gate diagram, you will need to first identify the inputs and outputs of the gate. Then, draw the gate symbol and connect the inputs and outputs with lines representing the flow of information. Make sure to label the inputs and outputs for clarity.

3. What is the purpose of drawing logic gate diagrams?

Drawing logic gate diagrams helps to visualize and understand how different logic gates work together to process information. It is also helpful for designing and troubleshooting digital circuits.

4. Can I use any software to draw logic gate diagrams?

Yes, there are various software programs available that allow you to draw logic gate diagrams, such as LogicCircuit, CircuitMaker, and Lucidchart. You can also use online tools or even draw them by hand.

5. Are there any rules or conventions for drawing logic gate diagrams?

Yes, there are some basic rules and conventions for drawing logic gate diagrams. These include using standard symbols for each gate, placing the inputs on the left and outputs on the right, and ensuring that lines do not cross over each other. It is also important to label all inputs and outputs and use consistent colors and styles for gates of the same type.