Complex Analysis - Manipulating trig identities

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of c for the equation c = tan θ, with the given condition that (1 + ic)^5 is real. The speaker uses binomial expansion and substitution to solve for θ and suggest a new method for the second part of the question.
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

Suppose c and (1 + ic)[itex]^{5}[/itex] are real, (c ≠ 0)

Show that either c = ± tan 36 or c = ± tan 72

The Attempt at a Solution

So I considered the polar form [itex]\left( {{\rm e}^{i\theta}} \right) ^{5}[/itex] and that

[itex]\theta=\arctan \left( c \right) [/itex], so c = tan θ

Using binomial expansion, I expanded out the polar form exponential, and I consider only the imaginary part and equate that to zero, because it says the that (1 + ic)[itex]^{5}[/itex] is real.

So that bit becomes:

[itex]5\, \left( \cos \left( \theta \right) \right) ^{4}\sin \left( \theta
\right) -10\, \left( \cos \left( \theta \right) \right) ^{2} \left(
\sin \left( \theta \right) \right) ^{3}+ \left( \sin \left( \theta
\right) \right) ^{5}[/itex]

Now, I used MAPLE to check this and when I solve for θ, I get the values that I need to show that c = tan (x).

How do I solve for θ by hand though? Also when I substitute cos^2 θ = 1 - sin^2 θ into Maple and then try solving that way, I get different values for theta, why is this? I thought doing the substitution might help simplify, but it changed the answer.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi NewtonianAlch! :smile:
NewtonianAlch said:
Suppose c and (1 + ic)[itex]^{5}[/itex] are real, (c ≠ 0)

Show that either c = ± tan 36 or c = ± tan 72

Since they give you the answer, try the obvious substitution …

c = tanθ :wink:

Uuuh, not sure why you converted to polar form...

Can you just work out [itex](1+ic)^5[/itex] by working out the brackets?

This time it worked...I just expanded it out, and then did the substitution, and solved for theta.

I didn't go about it this way at first, because there was a first part to the question to prove that c = ±√5±2√5

Doing it this way led me through the same path, and it asked to show a new method for the second part.

another method would be to simplify 1 + itanθ :wink:

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It involves the manipulation of trigonometric identities, algebraic identities, and other mathematical techniques to solve problems related to complex numbers.

2. How are trig identities used in complex analysis?

Trig identities are used in complex analysis to simplify complex numbers and functions. They help in converting complex numbers into more manageable forms and aid in solving complex equations and problems.

3. What are some common trig identities used in complex analysis?

Some common trig identities used in complex analysis include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities help in simplifying complex numbers into more manageable forms.

4. How do you manipulate trig identities in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, trig identities are manipulated using algebraic techniques such as substitution, factoring, and simplification. Other mathematical techniques such as Euler's formula and De Moivre's theorem are also used to manipulate trig identities.

5. What are the applications of complex analysis in real life?

Complex analysis has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve problems related to electric circuits, fluid dynamics, signal processing, and financial mathematics. It also has applications in computer graphics and image processing.