The Trajectory of a Charge in an Electric Field

In summary, In this problem, a charge with mass m and charge q is emitted from the origin with a velocity v0 in the positive x direction. It travels through a constant electric field pointing in the positive y direction before hitting a target located at position (L, yh). The equations of motion for the x and y directions and t final have been resolved. The condition for the particle to hit the target has also been put into consideration. The equation for the electric field E can be obtained by expressing t from the equations and plugging it into the condition equation. For another problem involving three spheres with known positions and charges, the force equations for the two spheres have been determined and the charge Qred on the red sphere is being sought
evilempire
My question reads as such:

An charge with mass m and charge q is emitted from the origin, (x=0,y=0). A large, flat screen is located at x=L. There is a target on the screen at y position yh, where yh>0. In this problem, you will examine two different ways that the charge might hit the target. Ignore gravity in this problem.

Assume that the charge is emitted with velocity v0 in the positive x direction. Between the origin and the screen, the charge travels through a constant electric field pointing in the positive y direction. What should the magnitude E of the electric field be if the charge is to hit the target on the screen?

So far, I've managed to resolve the two equations of motion, for the X and Y directions, and t final. They are as such:

x(t)=v0*t
y(t)=(1/2)*(q*E/m)*t^2
tfinal= L/v0

My problem is synthesizing these into one equation that solves for E. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Put the condition that the particle hits the target
[tex] x(t*)=L [/tex]
[tex] y(t*)=y_{h} [/tex]

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Put the condition that the particle hits the target
[tex] x(t*)=L [/tex]
[tex] y(t*)=y_{h} [/tex]

Daniel.

Oops, my bad. I actually had that figured out as well. Thanks for the help, though. :)

EDIT: What I don't understand is what parts go into the E equation. We just got introduced to this concept a few days ago and I am having difficulty translating the concept of kinematics to that of an electrical field E, which is what seems to need to be done here.

Last edited:
Is there something I am missing?

Well,yeah...

[tex] L=v_{0}t [/tex] (1)

[tex] y_{h}=\frac{qE}{2m} t^{2} [/tex] (2)

Express "t" from (1) and plug it into (2) and extract "E".

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Well,yeah...

[tex] L=v_{0}t [/tex] (1)

[tex] y_{h}=\frac{qE}{2m} t^{2} [/tex] (2)

Express "t" from (1) and plug it into (2) and extract "E".

Daniel.

Ah. I understand now. The 'm' was what was throwing me off. Thank you very much for the help.

I have another problem actually that I need a bit of guidance on. I will detail it here, rather than waste another threadspace:

There are three spheres: red, yellow, and blue. Blue is on the origin, red at d1,0, and yellow at (d2cos(theta),-d2sin(theta))

Suppose that the magnitude of the charge on the yellow sphere is determined to be 2q. Calculate the charge Qred on the red sphere.

I have the two force components necessary to solve the equation figured out. Once again, my trouble is putting them together to solve for charge Q, something that has not been covered in my course yet.

Here are my two force equations:

Fx(yellow)=k*2*q^2*cos(theta)/(d_2)^2
Fx(red)=-k*q_red*q/d_1^2

so, q_red=... is what I am trying to find.

1. What is the trajectory of a charge in an electric field?

The trajectory of a charge in an electric field refers to the path that a charged particle (such as an electron) takes when it is placed in an electric field. This path is influenced by the strength and direction of the electric field, as well as the initial velocity of the charged particle.

2. How does the trajectory of a charge in an electric field differ from that in a magnetic field?

In an electric field, the trajectory of a charged particle is affected by the strength and direction of the electric field, while in a magnetic field, it is affected by the strength and direction of the magnetic field. Additionally, the trajectory in an electric field is linear, while in a magnetic field it is circular.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a charge in an electric field?

The trajectory of a charge in an electric field is affected by the strength and direction of the electric field, the initial velocity of the charged particle, and the mass and charge of the particle. The presence of other charged particles or objects in the field can also affect the trajectory.

4. How can the trajectory of a charge in an electric field be calculated?

The trajectory of a charge in an electric field can be calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial position, velocity, and acceleration of the charged particle, as well as the strength and direction of the electric field. These equations can be solved using mathematical techniques such as integration or numerical methods.

5. What applications does the study of the trajectory of a charge in an electric field have?

The study of the trajectory of a charge in an electric field has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and technology. It is used in the design of electronic devices, such as particle accelerators and cathode ray tubes, and is also important in understanding phenomena such as lightning and the behavior of charged particles in Earth's magnetic field.