Dealing with Snake-Oil “Health and Wellness” Peddlers

• Thread starter abhishek
  • Start date
In summary, the two individuals discussed magnets and health in a very contentious manner. The individual eventually learned that magnets don't work and was very displeased with the encounter.
abhishek
I posted about this in Scepticism at first. There's a guy pushing magnetic "health and wellness" treatments and other dubious gadgetry, and today he brought along a friend/colleague to "provide more information". Against my initial wishes, I let myself slip into a debate with them, which very nearly degenerated into a right shouting match. :yuck:

I spent most of the time basically explaining the meaning of rigorous scientific testing, anecdotal evidence, and relativistic ethics (don't ask). And they didn't get it. In fact, they didn't care. They robotically repeated their party line that they weren't in the medical field at all (yet they dropped names with "Dr." and mentioned medical journals). Not that I wasn't expecting it. Still I went as far as directly calling them snake-oil hawkers. Fortunately, they tired of it too and my parents tactfully intervened and they left. :grumpy:

Clearly, I'm not happy with how it went. What do you think I should've done? Kindly smile and nod and hope they'd go away? Patronisingly agree, yet lie so they'd leave? Vengefully kick them out? Or do exactly what I did?

How do you handle these people? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
abhishek said:
How do you handle these people? :confused:
Keep the water hose nearby. :wink:

I'd listen closely to everything they had to say, then when they offered to let me try their bracelet or whatever it was I'd put it on and start screaming like it was burning my skin. Then I'd fall on the floor and twitch a couple times and pee in my pants.

tribdog said:
I'd listen closely to everything they had to say, then when they offered to let me try their bracelet or whatever it was I'd put it on and start screaming like it was burning my skin. Then I'd fall on the floor and twitch a couple times and pee in my pants.

That could work, but I know it wouldn't.

I would have done the same as you. I know nothing about these bracelets, but I'm smart enough to know science isn't that easy. Again, if it's too good to be true, than it is too good to be true.

tribdog said:
...I'd put it on and start screaming like it was burning my skin. Then I'd fall on the floor and twitch a couple times and pee in my pants.
That happens to me every morning when I put my watch on. (Drives my wife nuts) :smile:

If they couldn't provide any more info than what's in their brochures and keep coming up with the similar lines to your questions than they're not only bad sales people but more than likely nothing than a couple of hucksters. They're also very thick hucksters to see that you weren't an easy mark and that they shouldv'e moved on to someone else. I smell a thinly veiled pyrimid scheme lurking in the background somewhere. Their next step is either to get you to buy more and more related products "for all your health concerns" or give you the "but the real money is in getting other people into this business. You can get in on the ground floor now for only (fill in the blank amount) $$$$ but you have to hurry. THis oportunity won't last long!" line. :tongue2:

Francis M said:
I smell a thinly veiled pyrimid scheme lurking in the background somewhere. Their next step is either to get you to buy more and more related products "for all your health concerns" or give you the "but the real money is in getting other people into this business. You can get in on the ground floor now for only (fill in the blank amount) $$$$ but you have to hurry. THis oportunity won't last long!" line. :tongue2:
Spot on. :wink:

1. How do I spot a snake-oil health and wellness peddler?

Snake-oil health and wellness peddlers often make exaggerated claims about their products and use buzzwords like "all-natural" and "miracle cure." They may also use fear tactics or pressure you to buy their products immediately. Be wary of any product that promises to cure all ailments or has not been scientifically tested and approved.

2. Are there any red flags to look out for when considering a health and wellness product?

Yes, there are several red flags to watch out for when considering a health and wellness product. These include products that claim to cure multiple unrelated conditions, lack of scientific evidence or FDA approval, and overly emotional or aggressive sales tactics. Additionally, be cautious of products that are promoted by celebrities or influencers without any medical background.

3. Is it ever safe to use a product from a snake-oil health and wellness peddler?

In general, it is not safe to use products from snake-oil health and wellness peddlers. These products often contain ingredients that are not regulated or tested, and could potentially be harmful to your health. It is important to consult with a licensed healthcare professional before trying any new health or wellness product.

4. How can I protect myself from falling for false health and wellness claims?

The best way to protect yourself from false health and wellness claims is to do your research. Look for scientific evidence and FDA approval for any product before using it. Be skeptical of products that claim to cure all ailments or have miraculous results. It's also important to consult with a healthcare professional before trying any new product.

5. What should I do if I have already fallen for a snake-oil health and wellness product?

If you have already purchased and used a product from a snake-oil health and wellness peddler, it's important to stop using it immediately. You should also consult with a healthcare professional to assess any potential harm caused by the product. In the future, be more cautious and do thorough research before trying any new health and wellness products.