Understanding Spontaneous Symmetry Breaking in Quantum Field Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the effective potential in determining the symmetry breaking in a quantum field theory. The participants question whether the potential V can be used instead of V_eff and how the sign of μ2 can be determined. They also mention varying levels of precision in different presentations and a book by Zee that explains the importance of using the effective potential.
geoduck
Is there a reason why we have to expand a field ψ about the true vacuum |Ω>? Can't we just do field theory about ψ=0 instead of about ψ=<Ω|ψ|Ω>?

Also, I'm a bit confused about other fields. For the E&M potential, under the true vacuum, wouldn't we need to expand about A=<Ω|A|Ω> instead of A=0?

Also, how do we find the true vacuum anyhow? The way that it seems to be done is to take the derivative of the potential V, and set it equal to zero. The potential V usually has a negative mass or something shifting the true vacuum away from ψ=0. Is this an approximation? Don't we have to take the derivative of the effective potential Veff instead of V?

And how can one show that two derivatives of Veff gives the mass generated? I thought to get the mass generated, you have to shift the fields, and identify the coefficients of terms proportional to the square of the field. But a paper I'm reading claims you can just take two derivatives of Veff to get the mass generated?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you have to use V_eff. "The way it seems to be done..." Are you referring to some specific book? There are presentations of varying level of precision.

DrDu said:
Yes, you have to use V_eff. "The way it seems to be done..." Are you referring to some specific book? There are presentations of varying level of precision.

Most textbooks just state [tex]V(\phi)=-\mu^2\phi^2+λ\phi^4 [/tex] as the beginning potential which leads to spontaneous symmetry breaking.

V is not the effective potential, but the potential appearing in the Lagrangian, which is just the tree-level effective potential.

Something feels rotten about just stating that the potential is [tex]V(\phi)=-\mu^2\phi^2+\lambda \phi^4 [/tex]. Spontaneous symmetry breaking depends crucially on the sign of μ2, but how do we know the sign of μ2? Aren't these couplings supposed to depend on scale? Is there a scale where the coupling goes back to being negative?

I can see how λ must always be positive at any scale or else your theory doesn't have a ground state at all. But I'm not sure how we know the sign of μ2 by just looking at the bare Lagrangian.

I just now saw your reply.
Zee, Quantum field theory in a nutshell explains that the effective potential has to be used to determine whether a symmetry is broken or not.

What is spontaneous symmetry breaking?

Spontaneous symmetry breaking is a phenomenon in physics where a system that is symmetric at a fundamental level ends up exhibiting a state that is not symmetric. This can occur when the system is in a low-energy state.

What is an example of spontaneous symmetry breaking?

A common example of spontaneous symmetry breaking is the Higgs mechanism, which explains how particles obtain mass in the Standard Model of particle physics. In this mechanism, the symmetry of the Higgs field is spontaneously broken, resulting in the emergence of mass for particles.

What causes spontaneous symmetry breaking?

Spontaneous symmetry breaking can be caused by many factors, including fluctuations in the system, interactions between particles, and the presence of external forces. These factors can disrupt the balance in the system and result in a breaking of symmetry.

Why is spontaneous symmetry breaking important?

Spontaneous symmetry breaking is an important concept in many areas of physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. It helps to explain the behavior and properties of various systems, and has led to significant advancements in our understanding of the universe.

Is spontaneous symmetry breaking reversible?

No, spontaneous symmetry breaking is generally considered to be an irreversible process. Once the symmetry is broken, it cannot be restored. However, in some cases, symmetry may be restored at higher energy levels or under certain conditions, but this is not considered to be true spontaneous symmetry breaking.