Given impedance, find voltage drop across resistor

In summary: And the "F" stands for Farads. In summary, the task was to determine the voltage V0 in a complex network with two different impedances (a 0.5 mH inductor and a 10 μF inductor), using various formulas and calculations. The final results for V0 were found to be (100 ∠ -0.1 deg)V for part a and (35.3 ∠ 69.3 deg)V for part b. The "F" in inductor measurements stands for Farads.
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

Determine the voltage V0 in the following network if the impedance Z contains:

a. a 0.5 mH inductor

b.a 10 μF inductor

Homework Equations

Voltage division for 2 series resistors: (v in)(resistor/total series resistance)

ZL = ωLj

Zc = -1j/ωC

Z = ZL + ZC + R
Zmagnitude = (R2 + X2)1/2

θ = arctan(J/R)

form Z = R + jx

The Attempt at a Solution

ω = 377 ?

Part a:

ZL = 377 * (0.5 x 10-3) = 0.1885Ωj

Z total = 100Ω + 0.1885ΩjNot sure what to do from here but I guess now try polar conversion, and doing that, Z basically rounds off to

Z total = (100 ∠ 89.9 deg)

Z(just the resistor in polar form) = (100 ∠ 90 deg) because the magnitude is 100 and arctan(100/0.000000001) = 90 degrees

and I think

V = 100 ∠ 0 deg, from the given source voltage.

So I think V0t = (100 ∠ 90 deg)*((00 ∠ 90 deg)/(100 ∠ 90 deg))

= (100 ∠ 90 deg)

(would be negative though, because the arrow is the opposite direction).

but not sure. I know part B would basically be the same thing though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a simple voltage divider: Vo/Vin = R/(R + Z)
where for the inductor Z = jwL etc.

Vo is a magnitude and a phase angle.

Rework your angle for the total impedance; I can't understand your calculation: arctan(100/0.000000001) ?

What formula are you using to find Vo? (In symbols)

Well, I meant it just for the real resistor and tried to convert just the resistor to polar form... would the resistor angle by itself have an angle of 0, because there's no imaginary impedance (ie, R = 100Ω + 0j)? *Or you can't / you aren't supposed to do that? *

Actually checking it again too, I had the values / fraction switched around for the arctan theta formula, sorry.

I know it's voltage division (V0 = V(R1/R1+R2) even though it's impedance in this case ) but I am wondering if I am really supposed to do all calculation in polar form now (and forgot to say that the main problem here might be with polar form again). For Z total it was to use

Zmagnitude = (R2 + X2)1/2

θ = arctan(imaginary / real)

so with just R = 100 + 0j, it is R(total alone) = 100 ∠ 0 deg

while for total impedance:

Zmagnitude = (1002 + 0.18852)1/2 = 100.0001 still and now

θ = arctan(0.1885/100) = 0.1 deg

And then for the real resistor now it would be 0 since I had the formula switched

so

Z(total) = 100 ∠ 0.1 deg

V0t = (100 ∠ 0 deg)*[ (100 ∠ 0 deg)/(100 ∠ 0.1 deg) ]

?

Use polar or rectangular formats, or both; addition and subtraction are easier to accomplish in rectangular form (just like vector components), while multiplication and division are often easier in polar form. You should be able to convert back and forth between the formats with confidence. In fact, I bet your calculator has a build in function that will do it for you!

What's your final result for part (a)?

V0t = (100 ∠ 0 deg)V ?I take it I would have to stick with polar coordinates for part B too though right?

Color_of_Cyan said:
V0t = (100 ∠ 0 deg)V ?
The magnitude is good. There should be a small angle, pretty close to zero degrees but not exactly.
I take it I would have to stick with polar coordinates for part B too though right?

The procedure will be the same, only the particular value of Z has changed.

Sorry for bumping this so late, but I ended up getting V0t = (100 ∠ 0.1 deg)V for part a

and

V0t = ( 35.3 ∠ 69.3 deg)V for part b

Determine the voltage V0 in the following network if the impedance Z contains:

a. a 0.5 mH inductor

b.a 10 μF inductor
Anyone have any idea what the F stands for in inductance measure? :wink:

Color_of_Cyan said:
Sorry for bumping this so late, but I ended up getting V0t = (100 ∠ 0.1 deg)V for part a

and

V0t = ( 35.3 ∠ 69.3 deg)V for part b

I think you'll find that the angle for the first one should be negative, but otherwise your results look good.

1. What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of current in an electrical circuit. It includes both resistance and reactance (capacitive or inductive).

2. How is impedance related to voltage drop?

Impedance is directly related to voltage drop. The higher the impedance, the higher the voltage drop across a resistor will be.

3. What is the formula for calculating voltage drop across a resistor?

The formula for calculating voltage drop across a resistor is V = I * R, where V is the voltage drop in volts, I is the current in amperes, and R is the resistance in ohms.

4. Can impedance and voltage drop be measured?

Yes, both impedance and voltage drop can be measured using specialized equipment such as an ohmmeter or a multimeter.

5. How does the voltage drop across a resistor affect the overall circuit?

The voltage drop across a resistor can affect the overall circuit by reducing the voltage available to other components and potentially causing a decrease in the current flow through the circuit.