Fidning the center of mass of an incomplete circle

In summary, to find the x coordinate of the center of mass of a homogeneous rod bent into a circular arc with a radius of 170mm, we can use the equations x=rcosθ, y=rsinθ, dL=r*dθ. By integrating these equations from (-5/6)pi to (5/6)pi, we can find the moment of the rod to be 890.12 and My to be 28900. Using My/M, we can calculate the x coordinate to be 32.468, but this is incorrect. By setting up a coordinate system and summing moments to the left and right, we can find the correct x coordinate to be 32.47 mm.
Jbray

Homework Statement

Locate the x coordinate of the center of mass of the homogeneous rod bent into the shape of a circular arc. Take r = 170 .

The arc goes from (-5/6) to (5/6)pi (counterclockwise). It has a radius of 170mm.

Homework Equations

x=rcosθ, y=rsinθ, dL=r*dθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I found "M" by integrating "170 dθ" from (-5/6)pi to (5/6)pi. This gave me 890.12.I found "My" by integrating "170 (cosθ) 170 dθ" from (-5/6)pi to (5/6)pi. This gave me 170^2 or 28900.

I used My/M to find the x coordinate of the center of mass as 28900/890.12 or 32.468. However this is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture of the bent rod. Include the coordinate axes. If you have polar coordinates r and theta, are they the same as x and y? What are x and y expressed in terms of r and theta? Recalculate your moment based on your findings.

Disregard previous post.

Jbray said:
I used My/M to find the x coordinate of the center of mass as 28900/890.12 or 32.468. However this is incorrect.
What is the correct answer? I seem to get around 21 mm for x (but I did need wolfram alpha ).

EDIT: The formula from Wikipedia evaluates to ≈ 32 mm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Set up xy coord. system so the semi-circle's open end faces left.
Draw an axis parallel to the y-axis at x = x_0 somewhere between x = 0 and x = R.
Now sum (integrate) moments to the left & to the right and equate to zero. Express x in polar coordinates and integrate from theta = -5pi/6 to +5pi/6. Solve for x_0.

(I get x_0 = 0.191R = 32.47 mm.)

1. What is the center of mass of an incomplete circle?

The center of mass of an incomplete circle refers to the point at which the mass of the object is evenly distributed in all directions. It is the point where the object will balance perfectly if placed on a pivot.

2. How do you find the center of mass of an incomplete circle?

To find the center of mass of an incomplete circle, you will need to use the principle of moments. This involves dividing the object into smaller, symmetrical shapes and calculating the moments about a chosen axis. The center of mass will be located at the intersection of these moments.

3. Can the center of mass of an incomplete circle be outside of the object?

Yes, it is possible for the center of mass of an incomplete circle to be outside of the object. This can occur if the object has an irregular shape or if there is a large difference in mass distribution within the object.

4. Does the center of mass of an incomplete circle change if the object is rotated?

No, the center of mass of an incomplete circle will not change if the object is rotated. This is because the center of mass is determined by the distribution of mass within the object, not its orientation in space.

5. Why is finding the center of mass important?

Knowing the center of mass of an object is important for understanding its stability and balance. It can also be useful in engineering and design, as well as in physics and mechanics calculations.