Unit Vector Problem: Find Point of Intersection

In summary, the unit tangent vectors to the curves y1 = 1-x^2 and y2 = x^2 -1 at their point of intersection are (1/√2)i + (1/√2)j and (-1/√2)i + (-1/√2)j, respectively. The slopes at x = 1 are -2 and 2, and at x = -1 are 2 and -2, but these are scalars and not vectors. To get a vector along a tangent line of slope 2, we need to find a Δy and Δx such that Δy/Δx = 2 and then make a unit vector out of Δxi
hagobarcos

Homework Statement

For the equations:

y1 = 1-x^2

y2 = x^2 -1

find the unit tangent vectors to each curve at their point of intersection.

Homework Equations

d/dx (y1) = -2x

d/dx (y2) = 2x

The Attempt at a Solution

After solving for points of intersection between the two equations (-1,0) & (1, 0), I proceeded to ask the derivative for the slope of these points.

The slope at x = 1:
for y1 = -2j

for y2 = 2j

The slope at x = -1:
for y1 = 2j

for y2 = -2j

Next, I divided each resultant vector by the magnitude, (2), to obtain the unit vector.

However, this appears to be incorrect, and I am not sure why.

Attached is a photo:

Attachments

• Cal Hw 11.3.jpg
    Cal Hw 11.3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 614
Physics news on Phys.org
hagobarcos said:

Homework Statement

For the equations:

y1 = 1-x^2

y2 = x^2 -1

find the unit tangent vectors to each curve at their point of intersection.

Homework Equations

d/dx (y1) = -2x

d/dx (y2) = 2x

The Attempt at a Solution

After solving for points of intersection between the two equations (-1,0) & (1, 0), I proceeded to ask the derivative for the slope of these points.

The slope at x = 1:
for y1 = -2j

for y2 = 2j

The slope at x = -1:
for y1 = 2j

for y2 = -2j

Next, I divided each resultant vector by the magnitude, (2), to obtain the unit vector.

However, this appears to be incorrect, and I am not sure why.

Attached is a photo:

Slopes are not vectors. The slopes are 2 and -2 which are scalars. To get a vector along a tangent line of slope 2, figure out a ##\Delta y## and ##\Delta x## such that ##\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}=2## and make a unit vector out of ##\Delta x i + \Delta y j##.

Likes 1 person
Ahhh. Yes. Of course. Took me a minute to think about it ^.^

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1 and is used to represent direction in a specific coordinate system. It is often denoted by a hat symbol (^) above the vector symbol.

2. How do you find the point of intersection using unit vectors?

To find the point of intersection using unit vectors, you will need to set up a system of equations using the components of the unit vectors. Then, solve for the unknown variables to determine the coordinates of the point of intersection.

3. What are some applications of unit vectors in problem solving?

Unit vectors are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent direction and solve problems involving forces, motion, and displacement. They are also used in computer graphics and programming to specify direction and orientation.

4. Can unit vectors be in any direction?

No, unit vectors must have a magnitude of 1 and can only be in the direction of the coordinate axes or in a specific direction specified by a given problem.

5. How do you represent a unit vector in 3D space?

In 3D space, a unit vector is represented by three components (x, y, z) and is often denoted as êx, êy, êz. These components represent the direction of the unit vector along the x, y, and z axes respectively.