Graphing the Wave Equation with Quadratic Functions

In summary, the given function satisfies the wave equation and when graphed with the given values for f(x) and g(x), it forms a parabolic cylinder with phi in the z-direction and x and t as the independent variables.
jonroberts74

Homework Statement

set [tex]\phi = f(x-t)+g(x+t)[/TEX]

a) prove that [tex]\phi[/tex]satisfies the wave equation : [tex]\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial t^2} = \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

b) sketch the graph of [tex]\phi[/tex] against [tex]t[/tex] and [tex]x[/tex] if [tex]f(x)=x^2[/tex] and [tex]g(x)=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

part a, I have already gotten the answer to; just posting that so that the second part makes some sense.

I don't really know how to do part b, the two functions given don't have a t, so not sure how I graph phi against x and t

Physics news on Phys.org
jonroberts74 said:

Homework Statement

set [tex]\phi = f(x-t)+g(x+t)[/tex]

a) prove that [tex]\phi[/tex]satisfies the wave equation : [tex]\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial t^2} = \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

b) sketch the graph of [tex]\phi[/tex] against [tex]t[/tex] and [tex]x[/tex] if [tex]f(x)=x^2[/tex] and [tex]g(x)=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

part a, I have already gotten the answer to; just posting that so that the second part makes some sense.

I don't really know how to do part b, the two functions given don't have a t, so not sure how I graph phi against x and t

If ##f(x) = x^2## and ##g(x) = 0##, then ##\phi(x,t) = (x-t)^2##. Plot that as a 3D surface with ##\phi## in the ##z## direction and ##x## and ##t## as the two independent variables.

so its a parabolic cylinder?

1. What is the wave equation and how is it used in science?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves, such as light waves, sound waves, and water waves. It is used in science to understand and predict the properties and movements of these waves, which are important in many fields including physics, engineering, and oceanography.

2. What is the general form of the wave equation?

The general form of the wave equation is: d2y/dt2 = c2(d2y/dx2), where y represents the wave function, c is the wave speed, t is time, and x is distance.

3. How is the wave equation related to the graph of a wave?

The wave equation is directly related to the graph of a wave because it describes the relationship between the wave function and its derivatives (change in value over time and distance). The shape and behavior of the wave can be determined by analyzing the graph and using the wave equation.

4. Can the wave equation be used for all types of waves?

Yes, the wave equation can be used for all types of waves as long as they follow the basic principles of wave behavior. This includes waves that travel through different mediums, at different speeds, and in different directions.

5. How is the wave equation used to study phenomena in nature?

The wave equation is used to study phenomena in nature by providing a mathematical framework to analyze and understand wave behavior. Scientists can use the wave equation to make predictions about how waves will behave in different situations, such as in weather patterns, seismic activity, or the movement of light and sound in space.