How do I transfer propane between two similar sized cylinders?

In summary: There are a number of other fuels you could use like ethanol, nitrous oxide, and propane/butane mixtures.
MadHacker
Hi, I made a metal cylinder that is the SAME size as my 400g propane cylinder (picture: https://2ecffd01e1ab3e9383f0-07db7b...x800/7a66c8cb-d697-4680-9321-fcb73ede75c9.jpg). I want to transfer ALL (or almost all) of the propane from the propane cylinder to my metal cylinder, preferably without using an air compressor or something like that. The reason why I'm doing this is because I'm building a rocket and I can't get the propane to flow out of the propane cylinder fast enough. Thanks :D

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Unfortunately, PF has a policy of not supporting Illegal & Dangerous Activities. General questions about transferring volatile liquids may be answered, but here you are building a dangerous device / weapon, with a reactive fuel, in a non-certified tank.

Now that you have identified the application and fuel, PF cannot assist you, other than to advise you not to do it.

I think Goddard used gasoline as a fuel for launch. And kerosine was used by Nasa at a time, perhaps Apollo. But safety protocols had to have been in place to minimize the level of risk. As far as I know Goddard did not blow himself up.

Your best bet would be to consult the rocketeer sites for best practices as many things can go wrong, and you will not have a chance to get out of the way if it does. Propane is not, if ever as far as I can tell, used as one of the preferred fuels for amateur rockets. Could be because of pitfalls with leaky plumbing as one reason.

I would go with another type of fuel that more people have had experience with, especially since this sounds like your first rocket project.

1. How do I safely transfer propane between two similar sized cylinders?

To safely transfer propane between two similar sized cylinders, follow these steps:
1. Make sure both cylinders are turned off and disconnected from any equipment.
2. Attach a transfer hose to the valve of one cylinder.
3. Attach the other end of the transfer hose to the valve of the second cylinder.
4. Open the valve of the first cylinder and allow the propane to flow into the second cylinder.
5. Close the valve of the first cylinder once the second cylinder is full.
6. Disconnect the transfer hose and close the valve on the second cylinder.

2. Can I use a regular hose to transfer propane between two cylinders?

No, it is not safe to use a regular hose to transfer propane between two cylinders. Propane is highly flammable, and a regular hose is not designed to handle this type of gas. It is important to use a transfer hose specifically designed for propane transfer to ensure safety.

3. How long does it take to transfer propane between two cylinders?

The time it takes to transfer propane between two cylinders can vary depending on the size of the cylinders and the flow rate of the transfer hose. On average, it can take anywhere from 5-15 minutes.

4. Do I need any special equipment to transfer propane between two cylinders?

Yes, you will need a transfer hose designed for propane, as well as a wrench or pliers to open and close the valve on the cylinders. It is also recommended to wear protective gloves and eyewear when handling propane.

5. Can I transfer propane between two cylinders if they are different sizes?

Yes, you can transfer propane between two cylinders of different sizes. However, it is important to make sure the smaller cylinder is not overfilled. To do this, weigh the smaller cylinder before and after transferring propane to ensure it does not exceed its maximum weight capacity.