Model of the Universe: Exploring Andrew Cheong's Ideas

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the student, Andrew Cheong, discusses a model of the universe in which it is imagined as a 3-dimensional sphere expanding from the Big Bang. He also addresses doubts and misconceptions about this model, and asks for the name and accuracy of this theory. The model described is known as the "3-sphere model" or "hyperspherical model" of the universe, but it has been ruled out as the accepted model due to its inability to explain the observed expansion of the universe and its inconsistencies with current understanding of space-time and physics laws. The current accepted model is the Big Bang theory, which explains the expansion of the universe as a result of a massive explosion at the beginning of time. Andrew
andrewcheong
Model of the Universe (I)

Hello, I am a student who just graduated out of high school, and I have only been introduced to theoretical physics by books such as Kaku's "Hyperspace" and Greene's "The Elegant Universe" (both of which I did not fully comprehend, especially in the chapters concerning symmetry). There is a certain model of the universe that I have always thought to be true (and assumed to be what Kaku/Greene/modern physicists took for an accepted theory as well), but I now have my doubts on whether what I have been thinking is what the modern theory is.

Consider us residents of Flatland: two-dimensional beings living on a plane, whether truly "flat" or curved. I imagined that we lived as Flatlanders upon the surface of a sphere. This sphere is the universe, and is growing in radius (due to the expansion from the big bang). In terms of polar coordinates, I see that us Flatlanders can change our angles: theta and phi (and a third angle in reality, since we're three-dimensional), but we cannot change our radius, which I translate as time. We move forward in time because we are part of the forward movement in time initiated by the Big Bang. (I had always thought that if the universe were to collapse, then time would go backwards, since the radial 4th dimension would collapse inwards as well.) This also means the center of the universe does not exist except at the very beginning of time; for where can one find a "center" on the surface of a sphere? This model also gives rise to a "Hall-of-Mirrors" effect, which I recently read was not accepted by the physics community. [Though I described this universe in terms of two dimensions, the correct way of describing my model would be to say that we live upon the surface-volume of a hyperspherical universe that expands in radius. In addition, I realize that the universe, if this theory is correct, is not a perfect hypersphere: it must be very distorted.]

First, I am certain that this is not a new model of the universe. It must be quite common, whether it is the accepted model or a misconception among persons like I. For some reason, perhaps due to a lack of skills in utilizing Google, I cannot find a good resource that describes what I have described to you (if what I described made any sense at all).

What is the name or title of the model I described? Is it accurate in anyway? If not, then is there a resource from which I could learn exactly why it is not a feasible postulate?

If my description was not quite understandable, please let me know, and I will try again by building the model step-by-step.

Thank you for your time.

- Andrew Cheong -

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and model of the universe. It is always exciting to see individuals interested in theoretical physics and trying to make sense of complex concepts.

The model you have described is known as the "3-sphere model" or the "hyperspherical model" of the universe. It is a concept that has been proposed and studied by many physicists, including Einstein and Friedmann, in the early 20th century. However, it has since been ruled out as the accepted model of the universe.

One of the main reasons why this model is not accepted is because it does not accurately explain the observed expansion of the universe. According to this model, the universe should be constantly expanding and contracting in a cyclical manner. However, observations have shown that the expansion of the universe is actually accelerating, and there is no evidence of it contracting.

Additionally, the 3-sphere model does not fit with our current understanding of space-time and the laws of physics. It also does not explain the observed large-scale structure of the universe, such as the distribution of galaxies.

I understand that theoretical physics can be quite challenging to understand, especially without a strong background in mathematics and physics. I would recommend reading more books and articles on the current accepted model of the universe, which is the Big Bang theory. This theory explains the expansion of the universe as a result of a massive explosion at the beginning of time.

I hope this helps answer your questions. Keep exploring and learning about the universe - who knows, maybe one day you will come up with a groundbreaking theory!

1. What is the Model of the Universe proposed by Andrew Cheong?

The Model of the Universe proposed by Andrew Cheong is a theory that suggests the universe is made up of infinite, interconnected layers or dimensions. These dimensions are constantly expanding and contracting, resulting in cyclical patterns of creation and destruction.

2. How does Andrew Cheong's Model of the Universe differ from other theories?

Cheong's Model of the Universe differs from other theories in that it suggests the existence of multiple dimensions, rather than just the commonly accepted 3 dimensions of length, width, and height. It also proposes a cyclical nature of the universe, rather than a linear progression.

3. What evidence supports Andrew Cheong's Model of the Universe?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence that directly supports Andrew Cheong's Model of the Universe. However, some of the concepts in his theory, such as the existence of multiple dimensions, are being explored and studied in the fields of physics and cosmology.

4. What are the implications of Andrew Cheong's Model of the Universe?

If proven to be true, Cheong's Model of the Universe would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and our place within it. It could potentially open up new avenues of exploration and lead to advancements in technology and science.

5. Is Andrew Cheong's Model of the Universe widely accepted in the scientific community?

No, Andrew Cheong's Model of the Universe is not widely accepted in the scientific community. It is considered a speculative theory and has not been extensively studied or tested by other scientists. However, as with any scientific theory, it may continue to be explored and evaluated as our understanding of the universe evolves.