How to differentiate (sinx)^2?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for differentiating the function (sinx)^2, including the use of the chain rule and power reduction formulae. The formulae are also mentioned to be useful for integration. The conversation also briefly touches on the preference for using single angled arguments in final solutions.
strokebow
How do you differentiate the likes of (sinx)^2

thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Use the chain rule. Let u=sinx, then you need to find d/dx(u^2).

Alternatively, you can recall / derive the power reduction formulae such as;

[tex]\sin^2\theta = \frac{1 - \cos 2\theta}{2}[/tex]

These are especially useful when integrating such functions.

Hootenanny said:
Alternatively, you can recall / derive the power reduction formulae such as;

[tex]\sin^2\theta = \frac{1 - \cos 2\theta}{2}[/tex]

These are especially useful when integrating such functions.

Differentiating, not integrating. :biggrin:

I Think Hootenanny was in fact intended to use that to simplify the differentiation, if I'm reading his last sentence correctly >.<...Well anyway It doesn't really help very much because we still have to use the chain rule on the cos 2theta.

Gib Z said:
I Think Hootenanny was in fact intended to use that to simplify the differentiation, if I'm reading his last sentence correctly >.<...Well anyway It doesn't really help very much because we still have to use the chain rule on the cos 2theta.
Not at all, I meant that the formulae are useful for differentiation, but more so for integration. It is true that to differentiate you may have to use the chain rule for both forms but I find it easier to remember that;

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\sin(ax) dx = a\cos(ax)[/tex]

[tex]\int \sin(ax) dx = -\frac{1}{a}\cos(ax) + C[/tex]

Rather than remembering the results for the sin2x etc. In any event applying the chain rule to something of the form sin(ax) is somewhat simpler than applying it to something of the form sin2x don't you think?

Last edited:
Not always, usaully one would like an answer without double angled arguments, so they would have to know the expansion of cos(2theta) which isn't as easy as bringing a power down times the derivative of sin x.

Gib Z said:
Not always, usaully one would like an answer without double angled arguments, so they would have to know the expansion of cos(2theta) which isn't as easy as bringing a power down times the derivative of sin x.
Fair point perhaps, but I've never come across a case where a single angle argument is preferable to a double angle. In any case, the double angle form is certainly much easier to integrate.

Of course there all equivalent, but I always prefer putting my answers in terms in single angled arguments. In the end it makes very little difference, maybe 5 seconds working time.

= 2sinx cosx
= sin2x :zzz:

DAKONG said:
= 2sinx cosx
= sin2x :zzz:

ditto..

w00t 1st post :P

Let's try not to get into a 12 page debate on the merits of single vs. double angle final form solutions

1. What is the basic definition of differentiation?

Differentiation refers to the process of finding the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It involves calculating the derivative of the function, which represents the instantaneous slope of the function at a particular point.

2. How do you differentiate a squared trigonometric function like sin^2x?

To differentiate a squared trigonometric function, we first use the power rule to bring down the exponent and then apply the chain rule. In the case of sin^2x, the derivative would be 2sinxcosx.

3. What is the general formula for differentiating a trigonometric function like sinx?

The general formula for differentiating a trigonometric function is d/dx(sin(x)) = cos(x). This can be extended to other trigonometric functions like cosine, tangent, and their respective inverse functions.

4. Can you differentiate a function with multiple trigonometric terms?

Yes, we can differentiate a function with multiple trigonometric terms by applying the sum and product rules. Each term can be differentiated separately and then added together to get the final derivative.

5. How do you handle constants when differentiating a trigonometric function?

When differentiating a trigonometric function, constants can be moved outside of the derivative since they do not affect the rate of change of the function. They can also be treated as regular numbers and differentiated using the power rule.