Complicated trigonometric equation

In summary: The final answer I have is x = 1/(a-b) *[±arcsec(k-1) + 2n\pi] x = 1/(a+b)*[±arcsec(k+1) + 2m\pi](x satisfies both conditions, so not all n and m will actually work)
Chen
I need to solve
sin(ax)sin(bx) - k cos(ax)cos(bx) = -1
where k > 1 is constant and so are a and b, and they are all irrational.

(It's part of a much larger question in optics...)

Any ideas, please?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you could rewrite the left-hand side as:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}(\cos(ax-bx)-\cos(ax+bx))-\frac{k}{2}(\cos(ax+bx)+\cos(ax-bx))=-1[/tex]
Which can be simplified to:
[tex](1-k)\cos(ax-bx)-(1+k)\cos(ax+bx)=-2[/tex]
which is some simplification at least..

if all things fail... maybe you can use complex numbers.

Thanks for your tips. I was able to get the equation to the form:
[tex]a^2 cos(ax) + b^2 cos(bx) = c[/tex]
where a,b,c are different constants, but still irrational. Any ideas from here? :)

Thanks!

Chen said:
Thanks for your tips. I was able to get the equation to the form:
[tex]a^2 cos(ax) + b^2 cos(bx) = c[/tex]
where a,b,c are different constants, but still irrational. Any ideas from here? :)

Thanks!

I spent half-an-hour trying to solve it for x. But I couldn't. :frown: I am starting to think that there is no closed form solution to this equation. Anyone else share the same thought?

Last edited:
I don't know if I am right, let's just go with this.
For the original equation:[tex]\sin (ax)\cdot\sin (bx) - k\cdot \cos (ax) \cos (bx)
=-1[/tex] Let [tex]-1=-\sin^2 (ax) -\cos^2 (ax)[/tex] and see what happens.

I really have no clue. I tried to simplify it a bit:

sin(ax)sin(bx) - kcos(ax)cos(bx) + 1 = 0

sin(ax) [ sin(bx) - {kcos(ax)cos(bx)}/sin(ax) + 1/sin(ax) ] = 0

sin(bx) - kcsc(ax)cos(bx) + cot(ax) = 0

At this point I'm stumped. I fiddled around and got something equally unhelpful:

tan(bx) + cot(ax)sec(ax) = kcsc(ax)

Last edited:
I think I found a way to do it...

I am frustrated because I typed my whole solution here and then when I sent it it turned out my account was disconnected while I was writing. So I won't bother writing it out again in detail.:mad:

But the general idea is to start with the equation given by arildno and multiply it by -1 (to get rid of the minus signs).

Then use this formula with I am not quite sure if it works in all cases:

A cos α + B cos β =
2 cos{[arccos(A cos α) + arccos(B cos β)]/2} cos{[arccos(A cos α) - arccos(B cos β)]/2}

Where A = (k-1) , α = (a-b)x , B = (k+1) and β = (a+b)x.

Divide by 2 on both sides to get rid of the 2's.

Then you have a product of cosines which equals 1. So each cosine equals 1 or -1 as well.

This gives you a system of equations.

You can solve this system easily (just take care of the range of arccos). One problem is that in the end, you'll have two expressions for x, both of which must be equal, and so you'll have to choose the appropriate integers in the + 2n[itex]\pi[/itex] and + 2m[itex]\pi[/itex] (if they even exist, I have no idea how to find them besides trial and error).

The other problem is that this formula doesn't seem to work for k between -2 and 2 because of the domain of arcsin(1/(k-1)) (you'll have to solve the system to see what I mean).

EDIT:

The final answer I have is
x = 1/(a-b) *[±arcsec(k-1) + 2n[itex]\pi[/itex]]
x = 1/(a+b)*[±arcsec(k+1) + 2m[itex]\pi[/itex]]

(x satisfies both conditions, so not all n and m will actually work)

A second solution is almost the same but with (1-k) and (-k-1) as the argument in arcsec.

Last edited:
Hi I don't know if this will help but i calculated the factorising of it and the answer is abs2x2(-1c2ko2 + i2n2) . Hope it helps.

What is a complicated trigonometric equation?

A complicated trigonometric equation is a mathematical expression that involves trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) and is challenging to solve. It typically contains multiple variables, powers, and nested functions.

Why are trigonometric equations considered to be complicated?

Trigonometric equations are considered complicated because they involve complex mathematical concepts and require advanced problem-solving techniques. They can also have multiple solutions or no solution at all, making them more challenging to solve.

What are some common strategies for solving complicated trigonometric equations?

There are several strategies for solving complicated trigonometric equations, including using trigonometric identities, converting trigonometric functions to exponential functions, and using substitution or elimination techniques. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of basic trigonometric properties and equations.

Why are complicated trigonometric equations used in science?

Complicated trigonometric equations are used in science to model and analyze various phenomena, such as wave patterns, oscillations, and harmonic motion. They are also essential in fields like engineering, physics, and astronomy.

How can I improve my skills in solving complicated trigonometric equations?

To improve your skills in solving complicated trigonometric equations, it is essential to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with a variety of techniques and strategies. You can also seek additional resources and seek help from a math tutor or teacher if needed.