Optics - Do I live in a smaller world with glasses?

• Thread starter nzweers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary, the person is working on optics to see extra dimensions and their glasses make the world smaller for them. The world becomes larger without their glasses.
nzweers
Okay, question, do I live in a smaller world than people with normal eyes?

I noticed that when you look over your glasses (minus 3.5) half through the glasses and half to the real world, that the blurry real world is larger. My 28" computer screen seems 32", my cats head looks larger, my hands look larger, stuff like that. Like in this picture.

So my glasses make the world smaller for me.

But, my eyes are minus 3.5. I was wondering that if I had normal eyes if the world would be the same size as behind my glasses or the same size as my blurry world is now. After all, the refraction of a minus 3.5 eye is pretty off.

4951635761_71b4223331_z.jpg

{image removed due to size - Zz}

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
I guess it would depend on how your 'normal' eyes fixed the problem of your myopia. If the cornea/lens was less powerful, that would be a similar effect to wearing glasses (although not quite). If your eye was shorter then the magnification would be different.

Part of the reason for the change in image size is due to the distance between your glasses and your pupils. The change in image size is reduced if you wear contact lenses.

Gee, I never really thought about it.

The only way we can tell what the world looks like is through our senses.
We must accept what our senses tell us, since we have no other way to observe reality.

We can only tell if we are in a bigger or smaller world, if we can compare.
Just now you were able to compare.
However, I think it is the other way around.
Through your glasses you see the world as you'd see it if your eyes were "normal".
Without your glasses you are living in a bigger world (that is slightly out of focus).

To clarify my previous post, part of the issue is the distance between the lens and your retina. In this case it's a two lens system, the glasses and your cornea, but a major contributor to magnification or de-magnification is the distance from the lenses to your retina and the distance from the lens to the observed object. I think maximum effect occurs when the lens is at the midpoint between object and observer.

Back to the person wearing the glasses, usually all imsages are de-magnified, since the image size on your retina is smaller than the actual size of an observed object. The variation is in the amount of demagnification.

It's related to the thin lens equation:

thin_lens_eq.htm

Last edited:
Don't worry. When I put my reading glasses on world becomes apparently larger, so on average nothing changes.

Also, reading glasses can make people's eyes look larger and more attractive. Well - there are exceptions!
Who else finds it annoying when actors wear obviously plane lenses in glasses, to give them a studious look? Girl takes off specs and let's hair down "Why, Miss Jones, you're beautiful" - fade up music.

sophiecentaur said:
Who else finds it annoying when actors wear obviously plane lenses in glasses

I do. Especially as wearing ±0.25 glasses, or even just a spheric ones, would not hurt anyone.

Can't say if it is more annoying when someone pretends to wear glasses, or pretends to smoke. Both look stupid.

My vision was -6.0 before I got lasik. I can tell you that the world did get bigger after the surgery and I got rid of the glasses. It took some adjusting after the surgery.

Okay, question, do I live in a smaller world than people with normal eyes?

I'm actually working in my lab on the optics to see Ed Whitten's extra dimensions. Put these babies on and it will really shrink your world. I'll keep you posted.

1. How do glasses make the world appear smaller?

Glasses work by correcting refractive errors in the eye, which can cause objects to appear blurry or distorted. When wearing glasses, the lenses bend light in a way that allows the eye to properly focus on objects, making them appear clearer and closer. This can give the illusion of a smaller world because objects that were once blurry or far away now appear closer and more defined.

2. Will my world always appear smaller with glasses?

No, the world will not always appear smaller with glasses. The purpose of glasses is to correct refractive errors and improve vision, so if your vision changes or improves, your world may appear differently with or without glasses. Also, as the brain adjusts to the improved vision with glasses, the world may not appear as small over time.

3. Can wearing glasses affect my depth perception?

Yes, wearing glasses can affect depth perception. Depth perception is the ability to judge the distance or depth of objects, and glasses can alter this perception by changing the way light enters the eye. However, the brain is able to adapt and compensate for these changes, so most people with glasses have little to no noticeable difference in their depth perception.

4. Are there other factors that can make the world appear smaller besides glasses?

Yes, there are other factors that can make the world appear smaller. One factor is the size of the lenses in the glasses. Larger lenses can create a wider field of vision, making the world appear larger. Additionally, different types of lenses, such as bifocals or progressives, can also affect how the world appears through glasses.

5. Can glasses make the world appear larger instead of smaller?

Yes, glasses can make the world appear larger instead of smaller. In some cases, glasses can magnify objects and make them appear larger than they actually are. This is often seen in people with severe nearsightedness or farsightedness, where glasses are used to correct extreme refractive errors. In these cases, the world may appear magnified when wearing glasses.