Amount of solar energy per day in a given location

by ondrejjosef
Tags: energy, location, solar
Share this thread:
ondrejjosef
May17-14, 07:33 AM
P: 2
Hi,
I'm trying to find equation for an amount of solar energy that given place (of some latitude) on Earth's surface receives during a given day. I know it can be derived by using basic geometry, but I just need it for some application and don't want to waste time and risk mistakes. So if you know, where I could find this, I would greatly appreciate a reference. Thanks in advance for any help.

Josef Ondrej
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
New mass map of a distant galaxy cluster is the most precise yet
Highest-precision measurement of water in planet outside the solar system
Satellite galaxies put astronomers in a spin
adjacent
May17-14, 07:44 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,459
That is impossible to calculate.
The amount of solar energy reaching the Earth depends on many factors. Think about clouds.
ondrejjosef
May17-14, 08:00 AM
P: 2
My mistake, sorry for not specifying the question more accurately. You can assume that solar output is perfectly homogenous, constant, Earth is a perfect spehere with no atmosphere. Basically I'm just interested in the effect of varying angle from which you can see the Sun from that place.

russ_watters
May17-14, 08:49 AM
Mentor
P: 22,234
Amount of solar energy per day in a given location

The US government keeps records/models of this: http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data...991-2005/tmy3/
enorbet
May18-14, 04:15 PM
P: 132
If instead of tables you prefer equations, this should help

http://www.pveducation.org/pvcdrom/p...lar-insolation

Register to reply