Energy in an ocean current vs energy in an air current

In summary, according to the source, there is as much energy in an ocean current moving at 8 knots as there is in an air current moving at 137.8kph.
R0man
This isn't actually a homework question, but it does relate to a research project I'm doing relating to wind/ocean turbines. What I'd like to be able to do is state that:
There is as much energy in an ocean current moving at "X" knots as there is in an air current moving at "Y" kph.
I tried using P=1/2(ryo)(v^3)(pi)(r^2), where P is the power produced by the turbine, ryo is the density, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the turbine.
Assuming P is equal in either case, I set the equations (one of water, one for air) equal to each other. I also assumed r was equal in either case, so r, pi, and 1/2 cancel, leaving:
(ryo_water)(v_water^3)=(ryo_air)(v_air^3)
Using:
ryo_air = 1.275kg/m^3
ryo_water = 1025kg/m^3 (seawater)
I end up with v_water = 0.1075(v_air)
So if I have my conversions right an 8 knot current would have as much energy as a 137.8kph wind. This seems reasonable to me, but it is very low compared to data I can find on the net.
Do anyone have any insight on this? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Considering mass flow rate as [itex]\rho[/itex]VA and the specific kinetic energy as V2/2, and the same turbine area, the numbers seem about right.

What number is considered low?

I think it's low because of info found http://www.bluenergy.com/technology.html".
To quote them: "Sea water is 832 times denser than air and a non-compressible medium, an 8 knot tidal current is the equivalent of a 390 km/hr wind."

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't confuse energy with power.

well if one uses the relationship - (ryo_water)(v_water^2)=(ryo_air)(v_air^2), then one would get closer to 390 km/h.

However, using 8 knots = 14.8 km/h and the ratio of densities of seawater to air = 832, I get more like 426 km/h for the wind speed.

I'd have to give this more thought.

1. What is the main difference between energy in an ocean current and energy in an air current?

The main difference between energy in an ocean current and energy in an air current is the medium through which the energy is transmitted. Ocean currents are movements of water in the ocean, while air currents are movements of air in the atmosphere. This difference in medium has a significant impact on the characteristics and behavior of the currents.

2. How is energy in an ocean current generated?

Energy in an ocean current is generated by a combination of factors including wind, temperature differences, and the Earth's rotation. Wind drives surface currents, while differences in water density due to temperature variations drive deeper currents. The Earth's rotation also plays a role in the direction and strength of ocean currents.

3. How is energy in an air current generated?

Energy in an air current is generated by differences in air pressure caused by the uneven heating of the Earth's surface. Warm air rises, creating areas of low pressure, while cold air sinks, creating areas of high pressure. This difference in pressure creates wind, which is the main source of energy for air currents.

4. Which type of current has more energy, ocean or air?

Ocean currents typically have more energy than air currents. This is due to the fact that water is denser than air and can hold more energy. Additionally, ocean currents cover a larger area and can move at much greater speeds than air currents.

5. How is energy transferred through ocean and air currents?

Energy is transferred through ocean and air currents by a process called convection. In both types of currents, warmer fluid or air rises and cooler fluid or air sinks, creating a continuous cycle of movement. This movement transfers energy from one location to another, influencing weather patterns and ocean temperatures. Additionally, the movement of ocean and air currents can transport heat and nutrients to different parts of the world, affecting global climate and ecosystems.