Calculating Magnetic Field to Overcome Friction in Metal Wire Setup

In summary, the wire will feel no force at all unless there is a current going through it. The wire is kept perpendicular to two plastic rails, and the coefficient of friction is 'n'. The mass of the plastic wire is 'm'. The Magnetic field B is calculated to be 'nmg / (IL)[sqrt(1+n(^2)]'.
Dr.Brain
Ok there are two plastic rails over which a metal wire is kept , the wire is kept prependicular to both plastic rails , over the rails.. The coefficient of friction is 'n' between the metal and the plastic . The mass of the plastic wire is 'm' , Calculate the magnitude of the Magnetic field B , which just allows the wire to move.

I equate dthe net frictional force which will try to limit the motion , with the Magnetic force given by ILB , but in the answer instead of 'n' . there is some square root fuction of 'n'in the denominator and n in the numerator. , please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The wire will feel no force at all unles there is a current going through it. What information do you have about the current in this wire? I'm assuming this is not a magnetic wire (not iron or cobalt)?

ok the current in the wire is 'i' .

I assume there is also an "L" given. In that case you are exactly right. B=('n'mg)/(IL)

but the answer is given to be : nmg / (IL)[sqrt(1+n(^2)]

What level of physics is this? High school or college, and is it calculus based? Are you using differential equations?

I can not think of any reason why increasing the coefficient of friction should decrease the required magnetic field to start moving an object by the lorentz force. This is either an advanced, peculiar property I don't know about, or a mistake.

ANyone else want this one?

Last edited:
I am in my first year at a tech-school , and this is Physics-II which we r taught in the second semester , but I think it doesn't matter what level i am studing , i just need to solve the problem. Use calculus or whatever .

I've looked in six college textbooks, and I can't find any reference to that peculiar formula. Sorry, but I'm done here :frown:

1. What is magnetic induction?

Magnetic induction is the process where a magnetic field is created in a material, such as a metal, when it is placed near a magnetic field or exposed to changing magnetic fields.

2. How is magnetic induction used in everyday life?

Magnetic induction is used in a variety of everyday objects, such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in technology like credit cards, speakers, and hard drives.

3. What factors affect the strength of magnetic induction?

The strength of magnetic induction is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the distance between the material and the magnetic field, and the properties of the material itself, such as its permeability and conductivity.

4. Can magnetic induction be harmful to humans?

In general, magnetic induction is not harmful to humans at normal levels. However, exposure to high levels of magnetic fields can cause health issues in some individuals, such as dizziness and headaches.

5. How is magnetic induction measured?

Magnetic induction is typically measured in units of Teslas (T) or Gauss (G), which represent the strength of the magnetic field. The measurement can also be affected by the orientation of the material in relation to the magnetic field.