Maximum speed of a transverse wave

In summary, for a sinusoidal traveling transverse string wave with a frequency of 10.0 Hz and a velocity of 25.0m/s along the x-axis, the points on the string with maximum speed will occur on the x-axis at y=0 between the amplitudes. The maximum speed does not need to be determined numerically, but rather located on a wave drawing.
akd28

Homework Statement

A sinusoidal traveling transverse string wave has a frequency of 10.0 Hz and travels at 25.0m/s along the x-axis. Loacte the points on the string that have maximum speed at any given time.

Homework Equations

I know that v= wavelength / T = wavelength * f

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't actually have to determine the maximum velocity as a number, but instead I have to find the points on a wave drawing that have maximum speed. I have a feeling that the maximum speed would occur on the x-axis at y=0 (so basically the the points between amplitudes). But I don't know if this is correct reasoning or not, can you help??

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct.

Thanks for your help!

1. What is the maximum speed of a transverse wave?

The maximum speed of a transverse wave is the speed at which the wave can travel through a medium. This speed is determined by the properties of the medium, such as density, elasticity, and temperature.

2. How is the maximum speed of a transverse wave calculated?

The maximum speed of a transverse wave can be calculated by multiplying the wavelength of the wave by its frequency. This is known as the wave equation: v = λf.

3. Does the maximum speed of a transverse wave depend on the amplitude of the wave?

No, the maximum speed of a transverse wave is not affected by the amplitude of the wave. It is only determined by the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling.

4. Can the maximum speed of a transverse wave be exceeded?

No, the maximum speed of a transverse wave is a physical limit and cannot be exceeded. This is known as the speed limit of the universe and is determined by the fundamental properties of space and time.

5. How does the maximum speed of a transverse wave compare to the maximum speed of a longitudinal wave?

The maximum speed of a transverse wave is typically faster than that of a longitudinal wave. This is because transverse waves move perpendicular to the direction of the wave, while longitudinal waves move parallel to the direction of the wave.