Is there a way to recover a corrupted partition table in Linux?

In summary, the conversation is about making changes to the partition table in Linux using fdisk and encountering problems. The person was able to restore the partition table using information in /proc/partitions, but unfortunately, the script also formatted the first 2 partitions. They mention having backups for important data. The conversation also touches on the importance of having a Live-CD/Live-USB of partition manager for future situations.
j777
Hi,

I just made some changes to my partition table in linux using fdisk that are very bad. For the moment everything is fine but when I reboot those changes will take effect. Is there any way to restore my partition table from the good version that the kernel is still using?

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Well I was able to restore the partition table using the information in /proc/partitions but unfortunitely the script that screwed things up also formatted the first 2 partitions. Thankfully those were only the windows partitions and I have backups for the important stuff that was on them.

It is possible to make a backup of the partition table before you make changes?

(sorry, I meant 'is it', this wasn't meant to be a slur)

Last edited:
It's better to have a Live-CD/Live-USB of partition manager, such as Gparted, at hand in case you face the same situation in future.

1. How can I recover a deleted partition table?

There are several ways to recover a deleted partition table, depending on the specific situation. One method is to use data recovery software to scan the hard drive and attempt to restore the partition table. Another option is to use a specialized tool designed specifically for recovering partition tables. It is also possible to manually rebuild the partition table, although this requires technical knowledge and can be risky.

2. What causes a partition table to become corrupted or deleted?

Partition tables can become corrupted or deleted due to a variety of reasons, such as a virus or malware attack, power outage or surge, physical damage to the hard drive, or a software error. In some cases, human error, such as accidentally deleting the partition table, can also cause this issue.

3. Can I recover data from a partition with a missing or damaged partition table?

Yes, it is possible to recover data from a partition with a missing or damaged partition table. However, the success of the recovery depends on the severity of the damage and the method used to recover the data. It is recommended to seek professional help or use reliable data recovery software to increase the chances of successful data recovery.

4. Is it possible to prevent partition table corruption or deletion?

While it is not always possible to prevent partition table issues, there are some steps you can take to reduce the risk. Regularly backing up important data and keeping your computer and antivirus software up-to-date can help prevent data loss due to viruses or malware. Additionally, using a surge protector and avoiding physical damage to the hard drive can also help prevent partition table corruption.

5. What should I do if my computer is unable to recognize a partition?

If your computer is unable to recognize a partition, it could be due to a damaged or missing partition table. In this case, it is best to seek professional help or use reliable data recovery software to attempt to recover the partition table and restore access to the partition. If the partition is physically damaged, it may not be possible to recover it and you may need to consider other options for data recovery.