Evaluating Integral of a Trigonometric Function: Homework Solution

• Thread starter ACLerok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the problem asks to evaluate an integral involving a function with trigonometric terms. The person is unsure how to approach the problem and mentions trying to use a trig identity but needing more guidance. They also provide a helpful hint about the derivative of arctan(x).
ACLerok

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral with respect to f of the following function
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5303/picture1ub7.png

The Attempt at a Solution

This if for one of my homeworks. I haven't taken a single math course in almost 2 years so I'm kind of rusty. I'm not sure how to evaluate this. I tried moving the 'a' outside the integral but that doesn't help. I believe there is a trig identity I'm supposed to be able to use. Any tips or hints are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That is for the form [tex]\frac{a^2}{a^2+b^2f^2}[/tex]= [tex]\frac{1}{1+ \left(\frac{bf}{a})^2}[/tex].
Does it help you to know that the derivative of arctan(x) is [tex]\frac{1}{x^2+ 1}[/tex]?

What is the purpose of evaluating an integral?

The purpose of evaluating an integral is to determine the exact numerical value of a definite integral, which represents the area under a curve between two points on a graph. This value can be used in various mathematical calculations and applications.

What are the different methods for evaluating an integral?

There are several methods for evaluating an integral, including the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. The method used depends on the complexity and type of the integral.

What are some common mistakes when evaluating an integral?

Some common mistakes when evaluating an integral include forgetting to account for the constant of integration, misapplying the rules of integration, and making calculation errors. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check the work to avoid these mistakes.

How can I check if my answer for an evaluated integral is correct?

One way to check if your answer for an evaluated integral is correct is by using a graphing calculator or software to graph the function and visually compare the area under the curve to the numerical value of the integral. Additionally, you can also use the properties of integrals to simplify your answer and see if it matches the original function.

What are some real-world applications of evaluating integrals?

Evaluating integrals has many real-world applications, such as calculating the work done by a force, finding the center of mass of an object, determining the average value of a function, and finding the volume of a solid with known cross-sections. It is also used in economics, physics, and engineering to model and solve various problems.