Minimum and maximum values

In summary, the magnitude of the force is F= Z(W)/Z sin \vartheta + cos \vartheta. The theorem's I am allowed to use are the extreme value theorem and Fermat's theorem.
ace123
[SOLVED] minimum and maximum values

An object with weight W is dragged along a horizontal plane by a force acting along a rope attached to the object. If the rope makes an angle [tex]\vartheta[/tex] with the plane, then the magnitude of the force is

F= Z(W)/Z sin [tex]\vartheta[/tex] + cos [tex]\vartheta[/tex]

Where Z is a positive constant called the coeffecient of friction where 0< Z<[tex]\pi[/tex]/2.

Show that F is minimized when tan [tex]\vartheta[/tex] =Z

The theorem's I am allowed to use:

The extreme value theorem
Fermat's theorem

I don't really understand what the problem is asking me. What do they mean by F is minimized? Maybe if I knew that I could do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
For F to be minimized, z sinv +cos v must be maximized. You can do that using extreme value theorem...

"minimized" means it takes on it's minimum value. That is it takes the smallest value for any [itex]\vartheta[/itex].
The standard way of finding maximum and minimum values is to take the derivative of the function and set the derivative equal to 0.

What is Z(W)? Is it possible you mean F= Z(W)/(Z sin [itex]\vartheta[/itex]+ cos[itex]\vartheta[/itex])?

Yes, that is what I meant. Should of made it clearer. I was thinking about doing it like that but I was worried that if i used 0 it would give me value undefined. But i guess i will try. Thank you.

Edit: I also wasn't sure if it would be absolute minimum..

Last edited:
What about my W won't my answer contain it?

Well after i did the derivative of F and substituted for [tex]\vartheta[/tex] = 0. I got just negative W. Would that be correct? Thanks in advance

So does that mean I'm right and can mark this as solved?

You still haven't said what you mean by Z(W). Is that just Z times W?

Well after i did the derivative of F and substituted for = 0. I got just negative W. Would that be correct?
??Why would you set [tex]\vartheta[/tex]= 0? A function has a critical point (and so possibly a max or min) when its derivative is 0. Set your derivative equal to 0 and solve for [tex]\vartheta[/tex].

but isn't a critical point either a mximum or minimum? I thought I'm looking for just the minimum?

Okay, how do you find a "minimum" without first finding the critical points?

Yea, I just hoped their would be a quicker way that would give just the min or max. Also the derivative of F comes out really big do you have a suggestion on how to make it smaller?

edit: nvm combining my numerator cancels most terms

Nvm. I think i got it. My answer was that [tex]\vartheta[/tex] = 90. But that's only one critical point. So would that be the answer? Thanks for any input

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of minimum and maximum values?

Minimum and maximum values refer to the smallest and largest values in a given set of data. They are also known as the lower and upper bounds, respectively.

2. How do you determine the minimum and maximum values in a dataset?

To determine the minimum and maximum values in a dataset, you can arrange the data in ascending or descending order and then the first and last values will be the minimum and maximum values, respectively. Alternatively, you can use mathematical formulas such as the minimum and maximum functions in spreadsheets or programming languages.

3. Can a dataset have multiple minimum and maximum values?

Yes, a dataset can have multiple minimum and maximum values if there are ties in the data. For example, if a dataset has two values of 5 and two values of 10, then both 5 and 10 are the minimum and maximum values.

4. How do minimum and maximum values affect data analysis?

Minimum and maximum values can affect data analysis by giving an idea of the range of values in the dataset. They can also help identify outliers, which are data points that are significantly higher or lower than the rest of the data. In some cases, the minimum and maximum values may also be used to calculate other statistical measures such as the range or the interquartile range.

5. What is the difference between absolute and relative minimum and maximum values?

The absolute minimum and maximum values are the smallest and largest values in a dataset, respectively, regardless of the context. On the other hand, relative minimum and maximum values are the smallest and largest values within a specific category or group in the dataset. For example, the absolute maximum value in a dataset may be 100, but the relative maximum value within a certain age group may be 80.