Meson emission, real or virtual?

In summary, virtual particles do not obey energy (and momentum) conservation, so the pion is never seen in the final state. However, if the excitation energy is high enough, the pion may be real.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Assume that a high-energy nucleon is emitting a pion, i.e. the process N→N+π. Is the pion real or virtual or both? Motivate your answer with a calculation or a good argument.

Homework Equations

Virtual particles does not obey energy (and momentum) conservation. The virtual particle never appears in the final state.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would say that the answer depends on the excitation enrgy of the nucleon and if the pi meson is reabsorbed. But I would spontaneous say that high - energy nucleon means energy is lower than the mass of delta (1232 MeV, mass of nucleon approx 940MeV, mass pion = 140MeV). Also I would think that the RHS is the final state, so that the pion is a real particle.

What do you guys think about that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the process cannot occur as an isolated process, at least one of the particles must be virtual.

okay, according to what argument?

pam said:
Since the process cannot occur as an isolated process, at least one of the particles must be virtual.

what can I check to see if it can't occur as an isolated process?

Hint?

malawi_glenn said:
what can I check to see if it can't occur as an isolated process?

Hint?
That's a better response, since we are not having an argument, but a discussion.
Use the invariant E^2-p^2. E^2-p^2=M^2 forthe proton.
For p plus pi, [tex](E_p+E_\pi)^2-({\vec p}_p+{\vec p}_\pi)^2
=M^2+m^2+2(E_p E_\pi-{\vec p}_p\cdot{\vec p}_\pi)[/tex],
which must be greater than M^2.

Last edited:
but the nucleon on the LHS is excited, so there is not the same [tex] E_{\text{p}} [/tex] on the RHS.

edit: my original post (which I can't edit), the process should be (if you have not read):

[tex] N^* \rightarrow N + \pi [/tex]

the text is the same: "Assume that a high-energy nucleon is emitting a pion"

It's a bit frustrating to give two answers to a question and find out four days later that the wrong question was asked.
If the original N is N*, an excited nucleon, everything is different.
In that case, the particiles may be real or vilrtual.
All known N* are more massive than M_p+m_pi.
If the process is an isolated N* decaying to N and p, then all particles are real.
If N*-->N + pi is part of a more complex perturbation diagram, then one or all could be virtual. Only if a particle is in the initial or final state of an interaction is the particle real.

1. What is meson emission?

Meson emission is a nuclear process in which a meson particle is emitted from a nucleus during radioactive decay or nuclear reactions. Mesons are particles made up of a quark and an antiquark and are responsible for the strong nuclear force.

2. What is the difference between real and virtual meson emission?

Real meson emission occurs when a meson particle is actually emitted from a nucleus and can be detected by a particle detector. Virtual meson emission, on the other hand, is a theoretical concept used to explain interactions between particles, but the meson particle is not actually emitted.

3. How is meson emission related to the strong nuclear force?

Meson emission is related to the strong nuclear force because mesons are the carriers of this force. In the nucleus, protons and neutrons are held together by the exchange of mesons, which creates a strong binding force that holds the nucleus together.

4. What types of mesons can be emitted?

There are several types of mesons that can be emitted, including pions, kaons, and eta mesons. These particles have different properties and are responsible for different types of interactions between particles.

5. How is meson emission studied?

Meson emission is studied using various experimental techniques, such as particle accelerators and nuclear reactors. Scientists also use theoretical models and simulations to understand the dynamics of meson emission and its role in nuclear interactions.