Perturbation Theory energy shift

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the energy shift for an electron in a 1D harmonic potential with a given wavefunction and a time independent perturbation. The user is using an integration to solve for the energy shift, but there are some small mistakes in their calculations. After correcting these mistakes, the correct answer is found to be \Delta E_0 = \sqrt{2} V_0 = \sqrt{2} eV.
raintrek

Homework Statement

I'm trying to calculate the energy shift given an electron in a 1D harmonic potential has a wavefunction

[tex]\Psi_{0}(x) = \left(\frac{m\omega}{\pi\hbar}\right)^{1/4}exp\left(\frac{-m\omega x^{2}}{2\hbar}\right)[/tex]

The shift in [tex]E_{0} = \frac{\hbar\omega}{2} = 2eV[/tex]

due to the time independent perturbation
[tex]V(x) = V_{0}cos\frac{\pi x}{L}[/tex]
where [tex]V_{0}=1eV, L = 5x10^{-10}m[/tex].

I'm told that [tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-a^{2}x^{2}}cos(bx)dx = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{a}e^{-b^{2}/(4a^{2})}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, here's what I have:

[tex]\Delta E_{0} = V_{00} = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\Psi_{0}^{*}V\Psi_{0} dV[/tex]

[tex]= V_{0}\left(\frac{m\omega}{\pi\hbar}\right)^{1/2} \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}exp\left(\frac{-m\omega x^{2}}{\hbar}\right)cos\left(\frac{\pi x}{L}\right)dx[/tex]

Which, using the integration provided leads to

[tex]V_{0}exp\left(\frac{-\pi^{2}\hbar}{4L^{2}m\omega}\right)[/tex]

Now the exponential I have = 1 using the values provided, leading me to [tex]\Delta E_{0} = V_{0} = 1eV[/tex]

HOWEVER, the answers I've been provided with show that:

[tex]\Delta E_{0} = \sqrt{2} exp\left(\frac{\pi^{2}\hbar}{2L^{2}m\omega}\right)[/tex]

The exponential still goes to one, leaving delta E at 1.41 eV, but I can't see for the life of me how it's been arrived at... Help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach is correct, but there are a few small mistakes in your calculations. First, the integration provided is missing a factor of 2 in the exponent, so it should be:

\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-a^{2}x^{2}}cos(bx)dx = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{a}e^{-b^{2}/(4a^{2})}

Next, when you substitute in the values for V_0 and L, you forgot to include the factor of the wavefunction in front of the integral. It should be:

\Delta E_0 = V_0 \left(\frac{m\omega}{\pi\hbar}\right)^{1/2} \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}exp\left(\frac{-m\omega x^{2}}{\hbar}\right)cos\left(\frac{\pi x}{L}\right)dx

= V_0 \left(\frac{m\omega}{\pi\hbar}\right)^{1/2} \left(\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2L}\right) exp\left(\frac{-\pi^{2}\hbar}{4L^{2}m\omega}\right)

This gives the correct answer of \Delta E_0 = \sqrt{2} V_0 = \sqrt{2} eV.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion. Keep up the good work!

1. What is Perturbation Theory energy shift?

Perturbation Theory energy shift is a mathematical approach used in quantum mechanics to calculate the change in energy levels of a system when a small perturbation or disturbance is applied. It is often used to study the effects of external fields or interactions on a quantum system.

2. How does Perturbation Theory energy shift work?

Perturbation Theory energy shift involves breaking down the Hamiltonian (the mathematical representation of a system's energy) into two parts - the unperturbed Hamiltonian and the perturbation Hamiltonian. The unperturbed Hamiltonian is solved first, and then the perturbation Hamiltonian is added to the solution to calculate the change in energy levels.

3. What are the applications of Perturbation Theory energy shift?

Perturbation Theory energy shift is used in various fields, including atomic and molecular physics, solid state physics, and quantum chemistry. It helps to explain the behavior of complex systems and to make predictions about their energy levels under different conditions.

4. What are the limitations of Perturbation Theory energy shift?

One limitation of Perturbation Theory energy shift is that it assumes the perturbation is small compared to the unperturbed Hamiltonian. It may also fail to accurately predict energy levels for highly excited states or systems with strong interactions.

5. Are there any alternative methods to Perturbation Theory energy shift?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as variational methods and numerical methods that can also be used to calculate energy shifts in quantum systems. These methods may be more accurate for certain types of systems, but Perturbation Theory energy shift remains a widely used and valuable tool in quantum mechanics.