What is the maximum load on square tubing?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the maximum load on a 3.5 " x 3.5 " x 3\16 " square tubing with a 1 " adjustable pin hole, which is inside a 4 " x 4 " support. More information is needed, such as the material and treatment, to accurately predict the failure. It is suggested that others may be able to provide assistance with this complex problem.
tonyvin
Can anyone help to determine the maximum load on 3.5 " x 3.5 " x 3\16 " square tubing with a 1 " adjustable pin hole. This tubing was inside a 4 " x 4 " support . See the attached picture. I need to know the load or force allowable on the 1 " pin prior to the 3.5 " x 3.5 " tearing from the stress. I am not an engineer and lack \ forgot how to use physics to figure this out. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Piperack failure 023.jpg
    Piperack failure 023.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 592
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Tony.
More information is needed. Going by the picture, I would guess that the material is mild steel, but it's important to know for sure not only what it is, but how it was treated.
I'm afraid that I won't be able to help you anyhow, but others will need that information.

Danger is correct, this is a very complex problem and you need to know more about what kind of material it is and the loading condition before you can predict the failure.

1. What is the maximum load on square tubing?

The maximum load on square tubing depends on several factors, including the type of material, the size and thickness of the tubing, and the type of load it will be subjected to. It is important to consult engineering tables or consult with a structural engineer for specific load capacities.

2. How do I calculate the maximum load on square tubing?

The maximum load on square tubing can be calculated using the formula for bending stress, which takes into account the material properties, tubing dimensions, and applied load. It is important to use accurate and up-to-date information for these calculations.

3. What is the difference between the maximum load and the yield strength of square tubing?

The maximum load is the maximum amount of weight that a square tubing can withstand before it fails, while the yield strength is the amount of stress the tubing can withstand before it permanently deforms. The maximum load is typically higher than the yield strength.

4. Does the shape of the tubing affect the maximum load?

Yes, the shape of the tubing can affect the maximum load. Square tubing is stronger and can support more weight than round tubing of the same size and material. This is because the square shape offers more surface area for load distribution.

5. Are there any safety factors to consider when determining the maximum load on square tubing?

Yes, it is important to apply a safety factor when determining the maximum load on square tubing. This factor accounts for uncertainties and potential variations in material properties, applied loads, and other factors. The recommended safety factor for structural applications is typically between 1.5-2.0.