Electron Force B-Field: Direction & Velocity

In summary, when an electron with a velocity to the left enters a B-Field going into the page, the force acting on it is up the page due to the negative charge of the electron and the right-hand rule.
UrbanXrisis
B-Field is going into the page. An electron has a velocity to the left. Force is then downwards correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. The force is given by F = qV x B. Using the right-hand rule, and noting that the electron has a negative charge, I get that the force is up the page.

I forgot which hand is my right one. It's not the left one, right?

cookiemonster

My hands are faced down...B field into the page, means fingers curled, and if the thumb is pointing to the left, the the force is acting down.

UrbanXrisis said:
My hands are faced down...B field into the page, means fingers curled, and if the thumb is pointing to the left, the the force is acting down.

When you cross the velocity vector (pointing to the left) by the magnetic field vector (pointing into the page), your thumb ends up pointing down. But, as DocAl said, because we are looking at an electron, the value of the charge (q) is negative (q = -1.6*10^-19 C). The force is therefore pointing in the negative down direction or, as we say where I'm from, up.

1. What is the direction of the electron force in a B-field?

The direction of the electron force in a B-field is perpendicular to both the direction of the B-field and the velocity of the electron.

2. How does the velocity of an electron affect the electron force in a B-field?

The velocity of an electron has no effect on the magnitude of the electron force in a B-field, but it does affect the direction of the force.

3. What is the relationship between the strength of the B-field and the electron force?

The strength of the B-field directly affects the magnitude of the electron force. A stronger B-field will result in a greater force on the electron.

4. How does the direction of the B-field affect the motion of an electron?

The direction of the B-field determines the direction of the force on the electron, which in turn affects the motion of the electron. If the B-field is perpendicular to the electron's velocity, it will cause the electron to move in a circular path.

5. Can the electron force in a B-field be used for practical applications?

Yes, the electron force in a B-field is used in many practical applications, such as in particle accelerators, MRI machines, and cathode ray tubes in televisions and monitors.