Does Mass Increase as Velocity Approaches the Speed of Light?

In summary, momentum is a measure of how fast an object is moving and is limited by the speed of light.
leftyguitarjo
I just want to verify that I have the right mindset here on the subject:

p=mv

You can increase the momentum as much as you want, but when v reaches the speed of light, it cannot increase any more, but since momentum is still increasing, that means the mass must be the one to increase, for it is the only thing that can.

Physics news on Phys.org
Another way to think about it is that the momentum increases faster in special relativity than classically predicted, after all classical mechanics is only an approximation to special relativity. What we should write is,

[tex]p\approx mv[/tex]

And,

[tex]p=\gamma mv[/tex]

And just to clarify, an object with mass cannot reach the speed of light.

Last edited:
allright. Thank you.

leftyguitarjo said:
I just want to verify that I have the right mindset here on the subject:

p=mv

You can increase the momentum as much as you want, but when v reaches the speed of light, it cannot increase any more, but since momentum is still increasing, that means the mass must be the one to increase, for it is the only thing that can.
v can never reach the speed of light. There is no upper bound for the magnitude of momentum. As v approaches c, p approaches infinity. Therefore if one defines the mass of an isolated object then m = p/v m which approaches infinity.

Pete

Hello leftyguitarjo.

I think you have the mathematics back to front. You may not be able to increase momentum as much as you want because it is restricted by any limitations SR imposes on v and m. Momentum p is the dependent variable and varies when mass m and/or velocity v are changed. For a given mass you can increase the velocity at which it moves and so change the momentum. Of course the velocity is limited to less than c. It is not very practical to achieve the same result by holding v constant and altering m. There are other complications such as mass increasing with velocity.

Matheinste.

pmb_phy said:
v can never reach the speed of light. There is no upper bound for the magnitude of momentum. As v approaches c, p approaches infinity. Therefore if one defines the mass of an isolated object then m = p/v m which approaches infinity.

Pete
That was a bit confusing. I meant to write
Therefore if one defines the mass of an isolated object as m = p/v then m will approaches infinity as v approaches c.

Pete

1. How does an object's mass increase?

An object's mass can increase through the addition of matter or particles to its composition.

2. Does an object's mass increase with its size?

Yes, an object's mass is directly proportional to its size, meaning that as an object's size increases, so does its mass.

3. Can an object's mass increase without adding matter?

Yes, an object's mass can increase through changes in its energy. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, mass and energy are interchangeable, so an object's mass can increase with an increase in its energy.

4. Does an object's mass increase at a constant rate?

No, an object's mass can increase at different rates depending on the factors influencing it, such as the amount of matter added or the amount of energy absorbed.

5. Can an object's mass decrease?

Yes, an object's mass can decrease through the loss of matter or a decrease in energy. For example, when a candle burns, its mass decreases as the wax is converted into energy in the form of heat and light.