Calculating work done by a force field using Green's Theorem on a triangle

In summary, the conversation is about using Green's Theorem to calculate the work done by a force field in moving a particle around a triangle. The attempted solution involves integrating 6x2y2 over the triangle, but the correct answer is 972/5 instead of 1944. After some discussion, it is revealed that one of the limits for the integral was incorrect, leading to the incorrect answer. Once the correct limits are used, the correct answer is obtained.
kasse

Homework Statement

Use Green's Theorem to calculate the work done by the force field

F = <5x2y3, 7x3y2>

in moving a particle counterclockwise once around the triangle with vertices (0, 0), (3, 0) and 0, 6).

2. The attempt at a solution

I must integrate 6x2y2 over the triangle, right? I then get 1944 as the answer, but the correct answer is 972/5. What is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, you got it set up all right. But I do get 972/5 for the double integral of 6*x^2*y^2 over the triangle. Check that again. Post how you worked it out if you can't get it.

Dick said:
Yep, you got it set up all right. But I do get 972/5 for the double integral of 6*x^2*y^2 over the triangle. Check that again. Post how you worked it out if you can't get it.

OK, i integrate with respect to y first, which gives 2x^2*y^3. The limits are y=0 and y=2x, so I now have to integrate 16x^5 with respect to x. This gives (8/3)x^6, and the limits are x=0 and x=3, so that the answer is 1944.

y=2x isn't one of the sides of your triangle. y=6-2x is. Draw a picture.

Lol, thanks!

1. What is work done by a force field?

The work done by a force field is the measure of energy transferred to an object as it moves through the field. It is the product of the force exerted on an object and the displacement of the object in the direction of the force.

2. How is work done by a force field calculated?

The work done by a force field is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. Mathematically, it can be expressed as W = F * d * cosθ, where W is work, F is force, d is displacement, and θ is the angle between the force and displacement vectors.

3. What are some common examples of force fields?

Some common examples of force fields include gravitational fields, electric fields, magnetic fields, and frictional fields. These are all types of fields that exert a force on objects within their reach.

4. Can work done by a force field be negative?

Yes, work done by a force field can be negative. This occurs when the force and displacement vectors are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for work. This indicates that energy is being taken away from the object instead of being transferred to it.

5. How does work done by a force field relate to potential energy?

The work done by a force field is directly related to potential energy. As an object moves through a force field, the work done by the field is stored as potential energy in the object. This potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy as the object moves out of the field.