Plotting a Parabolic Curve for the Equation: SigmaY*(1-(L/k)^2/2*(L/k)c^2)

• Thread starter skaboy607
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation is about how to plot a parabolic curve for the equation sigmaY*(1-(L/k)^2/2*(L/k)c^2). The person asking for help is considering using Excel, but the other person recommends using Mathematica or other math programs instead. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about not using Excel to design a helicopter.
skaboy607
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could tell me how I would go about plotting the parabolic curve for the equation:

sigmaY*(1-(L/k)^2/2*(L/k)c^2)

Any help most appreciated

Will

Engineering news on Phys.org
skaboy607 said:
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could tell me how I would go about plotting the parabolic curve for the equation:

sigmaY*(1-(L/k)^2/2*(L/k)c^2)

Any help most appreciated

Will

What do you mean plotting? Maybe just use Excel? Or do you have access to Mathematica or other math programs?

Please do *NOT* use excel. It's not a good program to use.

Cyrus said:
Please do *NOT* use excel. It's not a good program to use.

Well, if you're stranded on a desert island, and all you have is Excel, it's fine for quick plot checks and such. I've done all kinds of weird stuff in Excel, including some DSP development and plots, iterative solutions of non-linear simultaneous equations, etc.

Certainly Mathematica is better for plots, and SPICE is better for circuits, and so on. And given my recent arguments with Office 2007 and Vista, I'm not inclined to be suggesting a Microsoft Office solution, but it is a valid thing to use, after all.

No way I'd design a helicopter with Excel, though... :eek: :biggrin:

1. What is a parabolic curve?

A parabolic curve is a U-shaped curve that is created by the graph of a quadratic function. It is a symmetrical curve that follows the general equation y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the independent variable.

2. What are some real-life examples of parabolic curves?

Parabolic curves can be seen in the trajectory of a thrown ball, the shape of a suspension bridge, the path of a satellite orbiting the Earth, and the shape of a water fountain.

3. How is a parabolic curve different from a straight line?

A parabolic curve is a nonlinear curve, while a straight line is a linear curve. This means that the rate of change for a parabolic curve is not constant, whereas the rate of change for a straight line is constant.

4. How is a parabolic curve used in mathematics and science?

Parabolic curves are used in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as in physics to model the motion of objects, in engineering to design structures, and in optics to describe the shape of a mirror or lens.

5. Can a parabolic curve be described by any other equations?

Yes, a parabolic curve can also be described by the standard form equation y = a(x - h)^2 + k, where (h, k) is the vertex of the parabola. It can also be described by the general form equation (x - h)^2 = 4p(y - k), where (h, k) is the focus of the parabola and p is the distance from the focus to the directrix.