What is the distance moved up the plane (friction problem)

• Thread starter aps0324
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, a particle of mass 3 kg is projected up a plane inclined at an angle of 50° to the horizontal, with an initial speed of 9 m/s. The coefficient of friction between the particle and the plane is 0.5. The frictional force acting on the particle is 9.64 N. To find the distance moved up the plane until the velocity becomes zero, the work-energy theorem can be used, taking into account the change in energy due to both the gravitational potential energy and the work done by friction. This calculation yields a distance of 3.72 m.
aps0324
A particle P of mass 3 kg is projected up the line of greatest slope of a plane inclined at an angle of 50° to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between P and the plane is 0.5. The intiial speed of P is 9 m/s.

ii) Find the frictional force acting on P

ii) What distance moved up the plane by P until its velocity becomes zero.

Homework Equations

f = μ x N where N is the normal

N = m x g x cos(50)

The Attempt at a Solution

i)

N = m x g x cos(50) = 19.28 N

f = 0.5 x 19.28 = 9.64 N

ii) Here I do not know what to do. I thought I could take -5 m/s^2 as a deceleration by using :

f = μ x N

m x a = 0.5 x m x g

a = 5 m/s^2

and then using SUVAT equations but this is wrong since I do not get the answer shown in my book..

Please help!

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I did think of that..but shouldn't friction still be taken into account? Because I did the following :

1/2 x m x v^2 = mgh

h = v^2 (2g) = 4.05 where v = 9 m/s and g = 10

and then in order to find the hypotenuse i used

Hypotenuse = 4.05 / sin(50)

But this gives me 5.28 m and the answer is 3.72 m

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of distance moved up the plane in a friction problem?

The distance moved up the plane in a friction problem is the vertical distance traveled by an object as it moves up a slope or incline, while overcoming the force of friction.

2. How is the distance moved up the plane calculated?

The distance moved up the plane can be calculated by using the formula: distance = (force of gravity - force of friction) x distance along the plane.

3. How does the angle of the plane affect the distance moved up the plane?

The angle of the plane affects the distance moved up the plane as it determines the amount of force of gravity and force of friction acting on the object. A steeper angle will result in a greater force of gravity and a greater distance moved up the plane.

4. Is the distance moved up the plane affected by the weight of the object?

Yes, the distance moved up the plane is affected by the weight of the object. A heavier object will have a greater force of gravity, resulting in a greater distance moved up the plane.

5. How does the coefficient of friction play a role in calculating the distance moved up the plane?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance to motion between two surfaces. In a friction problem, a higher coefficient of friction will result in a greater force of friction and a shorter distance moved up the plane, while a lower coefficient of friction will result in a smaller force of friction and a longer distance moved up the plane.