Discover the Basics of Pneumatic Circuits: Tips for Success | TQ

In summary, the spool valves have a "memory function" that keeps them in a given state when there is no input. The valves can be operated simultaneously, but doing so gives indeterminate results. The last diagram is more complex and I'm not sure I understand its notation.
rojak44
untitled1.jpg

untitled2.jpg

untitled31.jpg

untitled3.jpg

untitled4.jpg

i have done them all once but most of them unsuccessfully,due to no basic,guidance,lack of time and it is my first time seeing it.
im now trying to figure what happen if all of them are successful connected.
i have been searching through the net for hours but failed to find information on them.
is there anyone that could explain to me each of those figure or give me a link that i can refer to?
TQ

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
These are spool valves which change state when pressed (the left valve) or energised pneumatically (the top/right valve.) All are spring return and are initially shown in the unoperated state (spool to the left.)
When the manual valve is operated, its spool moves to the right. In both cases, this causes the pneumatically operated valve spool to move to the right.
When the manual valve is released, the spring returns it to the left, which connects the output to the exhaust, deenergising the pneumatic-operated valve and allowing its spring to return it to the left.
Pneumatics.png

The "memory function" circuit has two spring return manually operated valves and one pneumatically operated valve with no spring - which makes it stable in either state when there is no input.
Operating A pushes C to the right; operating B pushes C to the left. Simultaneous operation of both A and B is forbidden or gives indeterminate results.
When both A and B are released, both control ports of C are connected to exhaust and C remains in its last state indefinitely.
Your last diagrams are a bit more complex and I'm not sure I understand their notation for the operation of the activation of the roller switches. If you want, I'll look again and work through the possible sequences to see which is the likely interpretation. Maybe you can do this yourself now? If you search for pneumatic spool valves, you should find some similar diagrams with explanations.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Apologies for this. I did not notice it was an old question.
Please consign it to oblivion.

No apologies needed. Your post is great and we'll leave at that.

Now its time to close this thread, since itis quite old and thank you for the fine post answer.

Likes phinds

What is a pneumatic circuit?

A pneumatic circuit is a system that uses compressed air to power and control machinery or equipment. It is a type of fluid power system that utilizes air as the working medium.

How does a pneumatic circuit work?

A pneumatic circuit works by using an air compressor to compress air into a storage tank. The compressed air is then released through a series of valves, cylinders, and other components to perform a specific task, such as moving a piston or rotating a motor.

What are the advantages of using a pneumatic circuit?

There are several advantages to using a pneumatic circuit, including its simplicity, reliability, and low cost. Pneumatic systems are also able to operate in harsh environments and can be easily integrated with other systems.

What are some common components of a pneumatic circuit?

Some common components of a pneumatic circuit include an air compressor, storage tank, pressure regulator, valves, cylinders, and actuators. These components work together to control the flow of compressed air and convert it into mechanical motion.

What are some tips for success when working with pneumatic circuits?

Some tips for success when working with pneumatic circuits include understanding the principles of fluid power, carefully selecting and sizing components, and properly maintaining the system. It is also important to follow safety protocols and consult with an expert if needed.