Modeling Mechanisms with Working Model 2D: A Simple Solution for Engineers

In summary, the conversation is about finding a simple engineering software to model various mechanisms such as crank and rocker, gear, crank and slider, worm gear, scotch yoke, and cam. The person is specifically looking for a software that can handle crank and rocker mechanisms and possibly also has features for hydraulics and pneumatics. They mention that they used a book with a free student edition of a software called Working Model 2D about 5 years ago, and provide a link to the book's website. They also clarify that by 'model' they mean simulate the movement of the mechanisms. Another person in the conversation expresses interest in getting the book as well.
cavemen
(different guy using the same user name)

I am looking for a simple engineering software to model crank and rocker, gear, crank and slider, worm gear, scotch yoke, cam and other generic mechanisms.

Most important is crank and rocker.

Maybe some hydraulics and pneumatics.

Something my celeron D 512mb can handle.
Takes too much time to model this on paper. Aint do this in years.

Free or not free, I don't mind at this point.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Go to this website.

http://www.designofmachinery.com/DOM/

Down the left hand column you will see the software.

I used this book in school about 5 years ago. The software is capable of doing most of what you are looking for and my book came with a free student edition.

Thanks
Matt

What do you mean by 'model'?

i'll get the book too, because it sounds interesting
thanks

simulate , means figure out that if crank turns 50deg, what would the rocker turn at the given linkage length and rocker and crank diameters.
A set of 4 gears with uneven number of teeth.
what is the gear ration?
not doing this by hand anymore.

What was the name of the proggy that came with the book, CFDFEAGURU?

i bought the book, but there is no proggy mentioned to come with it

thanks

What is a crank and rocker mechanism?

A crank and rocker mechanism is a mechanical system that converts rotary motion into reciprocating motion. It consists of a crank, a connecting rod, and a rocker arm. The crank rotates in a circular motion, which causes the connecting rod to move back and forth. The rocker arm then translates this motion into a different direction.

How does a crank and rocker mechanism work?

The crank and rocker mechanism works by using a crankshaft to convert the rotary motion of an engine into the reciprocating motion needed to operate the pistons. As the crankshaft rotates, the connecting rod attached to it moves back and forth, which in turn causes the rocker arm to also move back and forth.

What are the applications of a crank and rocker mechanism?

A crank and rocker mechanism is commonly used in internal combustion engines, such as in cars and motorcycles, to convert the rotational motion of the engine into the linear motion needed to power the vehicle. It is also used in other mechanical systems, such as pumps and compressors.

What are the advantages of using a crank and rocker mechanism?

One of the main advantages of using a crank and rocker mechanism is its simplicity and efficiency. It allows for the conversion of rotary motion into linear motion with minimal energy loss. It is also a compact and lightweight design, making it ideal for use in various applications.

What are the limitations of a crank and rocker mechanism?

One limitation of a crank and rocker mechanism is that it can only produce a limited range of motion, which may not be suitable for certain applications. Additionally, the parts of the mechanism are subjected to high levels of stress and wear, which may require regular maintenance and replacement.