Is the particle travelling in the direction of greatest increase in temperature

In summary, the particle's rate of change in temperature at t=pi is -0.479498546. The gradient vector of T at (pi^2,0) is <-400pi*e^(-pi^2), 0>. The particle's tangent vector at t=pi is <2pi, -1>, which is not a multiple of the gradient vector. Therefore, the particle is not traveling in the direction of greatest increase in temperature on the plate from position (pi^2, 0) at time t=pi.
f.debby

Homework Statement

A particle travels across a heated plate according to the path f(t) = (t^2, sint) at the time t seconds. The temperature T(x,y) at position (x,y) on the plate is given by T(x,y)= 200E^[-(x^2 + y^2)] degrees Celsius. At time t=pi seconds, is the particle traveling in the direction of greatest increase in temperature on the plate from position (pi^2, 0)? Explain why or why not.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have that at time t=pi the particle's rate of change in temperature is -800(pi^3)e^[-(pi^2+1)] - 400e^[-(pi^2+1)] or -0.479498546
Also, I found the the gradient of T is the direction of the maximal rate of increase
so i found that the gradient of T(pi^2,0) = <-400pi*e^(-pi^2), 0>
But now i don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've found that the gradient vector of T is horizontal at (pi^2,0). That only way the particle can be traveling in the direction of greatest temperature increase if if it's tangent vector at t=pi is parallel to the gradient vector. Is it?

hmmm okay thankyou:), but I am unsure of how to calculate the tangent vector?

thanks for your help

f.debby said:
hmmm okay thankyou:), but I am unsure of how to calculate the tangent vector?

thanks for your help

The tangent vector is the vector f'(t).

Oh okay:)! So then it wouldn't be parallel to the gradient vector because f'(pi) = <2pi, -1> which is not a multiple of the gradient i calculated. So, the particle isn't traveling in the direction of greatest temperature increase.

Thanks so much!

1. What is the direction of greatest increase in temperature?

The direction of greatest increase in temperature is the direction in which the temperature is changing at the fastest rate. This can be determined by looking at the temperature gradient, which is the change in temperature over a given distance.

2. How can I determine the direction of greatest increase in temperature?

To determine the direction of greatest increase in temperature, you will need to measure the temperature at different points and calculate the temperature gradient. The direction of greatest increase will be the direction with the highest temperature gradient.

3. Does the direction of greatest increase in temperature change?

Yes, the direction of greatest increase in temperature can change depending on the location and surrounding conditions. It can also change over time as the temperature gradient may shift due to various factors such as wind or heat sources.

4. Why is it important to know the direction of greatest increase in temperature?

Knowing the direction of greatest increase in temperature can help with predicting and understanding temperature changes in a specific area. It can also be useful in determining the flow of heat and identifying areas where temperature-sensitive materials should be placed.

5. Can the direction of greatest increase in temperature be influenced by human activity?

Yes, human activity can affect the direction of greatest increase in temperature. For example, the construction of buildings and roads can create heat islands that alter the temperature gradient and therefore change the direction of greatest increase in temperature in a certain area.